Any other CCR's with Solid State O2 Cells yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently got the notification that the cells and conversion are available for the Sidewinder.

I tested one of the OS cells in a pressure pot in witch I use a standard Petrel to read the cells. It's pretty much perfect up to 2.0. I've sold that cell and plan to get one directly from KISS so that I have better long term support.

I believe any deviation is within tolerance of my measurement system.

markup_1000000549.png

The Halcyon Symbios and Kiss (dive talk) Go are different units.

The O2 Scientific Cell is a drop in replacement. It has a coin battery to power the unit and spits out a mV reading just like a regular galvanic cell.

I know a couple of people that have been playing with them, but they're on NDA and can't discuss it. I'm eagerly awaiting for them to be able to provide more info.
Such a shame with this "workaround" though. Have a digital sensor, but convert to ****** millivolts. Removes options for diagnostic info, checksums for communication etc.

Such a shame with this "workaround" though. Have a digital sensor, but convert to ****** millivolts. Removes options for diagnostic info, checksums for communication etc.
Yes - but it opens up the option to have the reliability of a solid state cell to those that don't have the fancy ability to read it digitally - they are still a big leap forward for our sport.

Given the reliability of Bluetooth pressure transmitters, imagine if we could have a Bluetooth overlay on them.
Hardwired to the hardwired system like above, and Bluetooth with diagnostics to backup computer. Computer side could be done in a simple firmware update

Given the reliability of Bluetooth pressure transmitters, imagine if we could have a Bluetooth overlay on them.
Hardwired to the hardwired system like above, and Bluetooth with diagnostics to backup computer. Computer side could be done in a simple firmware update
Bluetooth does not work underwater, pressure transmitters are ultra low frequency.

I believe there is a company (Rhino?) making a wireless PPO monitor.

Chatting to someone about the Halcyon chestmount, the monitors -- both wrist mounted and eye mounted -- are wireless. Seems it's a one-way transmission and it seems there's no monitor to unit connectivity. Curious as to how the controller knows which setpoint to use; also how would one change the setpoints during a dive.

Apparently the Halcyon unit can handle both solid state cells and Galvanic cells — including mixing them.

It's early days with the solid state cells and the prices are very high, circa 10 X the cost of Galvanic cells. It's early days with the interfaces; ultimately they'll simply be part of the DiveCAN network, taking their power from the bus and pushing raw data to the bus. For now there needs the additional kludge to use a Galvanic mV interface.

Being new(ish) technology, it's still uncertain how well they'll last and how reliable they'll be in long-term use. As Galvanic cells are frequently replaced, they are pretty well known regarding their failure modes, so failures are expected. All rebreather divers know that they will need to be replaced every year or three.

Personally, I'm quite excited about the future to get rid of the Galvanic cells. However, I'm in no hurry to be the first to pay out X10 and be the guinea pig uncertain how they will behave and how long they'll last.

Chatting to someone about the Halcyon chestmount, the monitors -- both wrist mounted and eye mounted -- are wireless. Seems it's a one-way transmission and it seems there's no monitor to unit connectivity. Curious as to how the controller knows which setpoint to use; also how would one change the setpoints during a dive.

Apparently the Halcyon unit can handle both solid state cells and Galvanic cells.

Lots of pics on Oxygen Scientific FB page - if I was to guess, OS developed the rebreather, sensors, Rhino/Symbios computers and Halcyon just slaps its logo on it. They announced "strategic partnership" between OS and H in Jan this year, whereby "Halcyon will overtake all Marketing and Distribution of these products".

As for the wireless system there is a pic as well, but no indication one or two ways.

1711289530198.jpeg

It's early days with the solid state cells and the prices are very high, circa 10 X the cost of Galvanic cells. It's early days with the interfaces; ultimately they'll simply be part of the DiveCAN network, taking their power from the bus and pushing raw data to the bus. For now there needs the additional kludge to use a Galvanic mV interface.

Being new(ish) technology, it's still uncertain how well they'll last and how reliable they'll be in long-term use. As Galvanic cells are frequently replaced, they are pretty well known regarding their failure modes, so failures are expected. All rebreather divers know that they will need to be replaced every year or three.

Personally, I'm quite excited about the future to get rid of the Galvanic cells. However, I'm in no hurry to be the first to pay out X10 and be the guinea pig uncertain how they will behave and how long they'll last.
I've had solid state cells in my Poseidon 7 for a while now and they are rock solid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom