Any military divers here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you mean a diver trade in the military, or a military by trade, who happens to be a diver?

If the latter, I guess I qualify. I'm in the Canadian Forces (Army) and although I'm not a scuba diver YET - I'm actually doing checkout dives this weekend, 25/26 Oct - I have however been 'freediving' for a while now.

Hi FreeFloat,

Just had to say that Kingston is a great town! I miss going up there for the weekend when i was stationed at Fort Drum near Watertown, NY. (It was also the only place around I could get into a club or bar at the time due to the 19 yr old drinking age! I never knew that there was good diving offshore there.

I'll be heading back soon, as I have family in Sackets Harbor.

Good luck with your checkout dives!

Colin Berry

Yes, what an outstanding area this is for diving - anything between about Belleville and Brockville (IMHO) with Kingston being the center, natch.

To date, freediving, I have done:
1 drift dive (that was so fun!)
1 "scuba park" (although I didn't see much)
several boat dives where I didn't get down to the wreck due to the depth
6 shipwrecks (most of them more than once)
2 sunken wharves
...and this list will not be getting any shorter once I'm certified!

BTW I was down to Fort Drum on a weekend exercise once - don't remember too much as I was quite sleep deprived at the time lol, but I also spend 10 days at Fort Ripley (where I got to use MILES gear - that was a blast! Ask me for an amusing story sometime) and about 4 days at Fort Lewis. Nothing more southerly than those bases.

Never spent anytime at Fort Riley. (I'm assuming you meant Fort Riley, as I am unaware of a Fort Ripley.)

Now Fort Lewis, Been there twice. Once for training, and once on TDY. Isn't the view of Mt. Rainier an odd experience?

I'll bring my gear when I head up to Sackets next time.

Colin Berry

Fort Ripley, National Guard Training Center, MN. It was a month-long Brigade level exercise for us - we flew down from Saskatchewan (ie. north of MT/ND). Although I wasn't there for the entire time.

Sure, bring your gear next time! I may even be able to meet you halfway, unless you really want to see some of Kingston/Brockville's wrecks.....

DFC5343 once bubbled...
Leave it to the canuckleheads to get off topic.
I thought the mil diver thing was the topic...... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom