Any Marine biologists with Mercury data out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sailingk8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
In an effort to fight Shark Fin Soup consumption I want to attack on a medical front.
If anyone has data on Mercury levels in different Shark, webs, charts, raw data, whatever you might have please direct it my way.
I also believe this is a way to fight the shark cartilage pill industry.
I but I need the data to back it up.

Another idea I had was to confront the issue of Shark Fin soup with Asian college students. Let's address this with the future soup clients. If we can give them info to persuade their parents that shark is not healthy to serve we might make some head way. No bride wants to serve her groom something that might cause sexual disfunction which is what Mercury levels in humans can do. Any ideas you all may have on this would be welcome.

thanks
K

There are several organizations that are addressing the consumption of shark fin soup on the basis of mercury levels. You might check Oceanic Defense and other web sites you can locate via a Google search using the appropriate keywords (shark fin soup, mercury as an example).

Dr Bill I looked on Ocean Defense and only found general information pertaining to Mercury and sharks. I'm seeking specific levels, numbers, ppm for different species. If I missed something perhaps you can offer me a link.

PS: If you know of any data specific to Smooth Dogfish I might be able to address this directly with my Government officials as we have a fishery here in Virginia that targets these shark.

-

Last edited:
I know I've seen postings on Facebook by Oceanic Defense and others with some specific data on mercury levels. Wish I had the time to search back for them. I think a Google search is your best bet... there must be a fair bit of info on this in the scientific literature as well as possibly on health-related web sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom