Any interest in vintage tanks/valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgbmatt

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently picked up a bunch of older tanks from a local diver who was cleaning out his garage. Included in the lot were some really nice 72s, but I've also ended up with a few oddities that I don't plan on ever using.

So, I'm curious as to whether or not people might interested in these tanks, or whether I should toss 'em. I'd much rather sell them to a diver who'll appreciate them rather than a scrap metal dealer. Any advice would be appreciated!

Sitting on my porch right now are:

- A tapered-thread, US Divers 72 from 1956 with a Sherwood K-valve. The valve looks to be in great shape, but tank itself is shot - it's full of rust and the threads are toast. Kind of neat in that USD's street address is stamped on the crown.

- A 1/2" straight thread 72, from 1965 (never seen one before - looks like a Norris tank but the markings are nearly gone). I'm not even sure if the valve is legal to fill any more (only has 6 threads) and in any case I don't want to bother rebuilding it. Pretty rusty but might be salvageable.

- An original aluminum 72, rated to 2475 PSI and made in 1972 by Alcan. The tank is in great shape - nice and clean inside, no sign of neck problems and passes viz+ with flying colours. Although I'm sure it'd pass hydro, to me it's not worth the cost of putting it in service since the buoyancy characteristics are awful (10# positive when empty?!)

aloha
I might be interested in the 2475 psi Aluminum, and one of the others.
I will PM you
Aloha Turtleguy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom