Any info about the Juliet liveaboard - Miami/Bahamas Itinerary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rythmmaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In looking for a liveaboard that leaves from Florida and has itineraries in the Bahamas I found the Juliette:

Juliet Sailing and Scuba Diving

There are no recent reviews or posts (since about 2009), but I spoke today with one of the captains (and co-owner) John, who tells me that they are indeed still in business and booking trips for all of 2010.

The previous posts I could find here were pretty positive and I like that it is a decent sized boat; a 3 masted schooner with 104' length and 26' beam. But they only book a maximum of 12 divers at a time - also a plus. But 3 years is a long time to elapse since it was last reviewed, a lot can transpire and the condition of the boat could be far different today than it was the last time a trip report was filed.

Anyone have any recent info about this vessel or the people who operate it?

John runs a fine operation and has a great reputation. I have not been on his boat, but share some crew with him. If I wanted to leave Ft. Lauderdale and sail to the Bahamas, that's the liveaboard I'd do it on. At least until I can do it on my own boat. :D

Specifically, ask (PM) Netmage and Deepstops on this board. They did a Bahamas itinerary last summer and enjoyed it very much.

I think I know why you can't find any reviews. The name of the boat is Sailing Vessel Juliet, not Juliette.

JI think I know why you can't find any reviews. The name of the boat is Sailing Vessel Juliet, not Juliette.
fixed post title...

The reason you won't find many reviews (IMO) is because the boat is pretty much full all year round due to its popularity and returning guests (myself included). If you're looking for luxury, this ain't it, but the diving/food/crew/vessel are rock solid and reasonably priced. They only had a few spots left for this summer (fewer than 20) as of last week.

I was on Juliet for a trip to the Dry Tortugas this past Spring. John and crew exceeded my expectations.

Great trip with a variety of dive sites. I thought the food was exceptional. Enthusiastic and knowledgeable divemaster, friendly and very skilled first mate and engineer.
My biggest compliant is I'm trying to schedule a trip them this year and the times I have available are already booked.

If you have any specific questions fire away. I'll check in sporadically

If you have any specific questions fire away. I'll check in sporadically

I have a couple of questions for you or for anyone else who would like to answer. Is there anywhere on deck that is shaded so I can get fresh air without the worry of getting sunburned? Are the salon and the dining area one and the same? Basically wondering if there is somewhere to sit inside that is not at a table and is more like a lounging area. Lastly how many dives are in a typical day and/or a typical 7 day/6 night trip to the Bahamas?

Anyone that can share any photos of the specific areas of the boat (dive deck, entry point to water, salon, etc) would be greatly appreciated. I've seen the ones on the website but looking for additional photos.

I have a couple of questions for you or for anyone else who would like to answer. Is there anywhere on deck that is shaded so I can get fresh air without the worry of getting sunburned? Are the salon and the dining area one and the same? Basically wondering if there is somewhere to sit inside that is not at a table and is more like a lounging area. Lastly how many dives are in a typical day and/or a typical 7 day/6 night trip to the Bahamas?

Anyone that can share any photos of the specific areas of the boat (dive deck, entry point to water, salon, etc) would be greatly appreciated. I've seen the ones on the website but looking for additional photos.

Tammy, I was on the trip with Deepstops and Netmage mentioned above and certainly had a great time. The diving was fantastic and we enjoyed the flexibility to influence the itinerary since we had chartered the full boat.

There aren't any shaded areas on deck but the crew was happy to rig up a canopy that provided some relief from the sun.

The salon and dining area are the same space and to be honest felt small at dining time with a full boat. There are benches running down the port side of the salon for seating separate from the dining table.

There were typically four dives offered each day. The dive schedule seemed to be driven by the rate at which they could fill tanks. The fill system wasn't fast but we did get consistent 3300-3500 PSI Nitrox fills in the steel tanks we brought with us.

I looked through our photos from the week and don't have a lot of top side pics but here are few including the entry point, ladder, gear bench, and deck.

I hope this helps and feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

- Dave.

julietdeck.jpg

julietgearbenchjpg.jpg

julietentry1jpg.jpg

julietentry2jpg.jpg

julietladder.jpg

I went out on the Juliet about 6 weeks ago. It was a great trip, excellent diving.
There are two cushioned spots to lay down and plenty of deck space to sprawl out (no shade to speak of). The inside can be a bit cramped, especially if there is a full boat.
It is a live aboard that will put you on good diving, but if you are looking for all the comfort and amenities of Aggressor, you should go with Aggressor.

Good luck!

I agree with everything H2Oskier & xjes said

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom