Any Graphic Novel Fans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You list some trully awsome ones....

Can't forget Watchmen from Alan Moore though, or Frank Miller's Dark Night Returns and DK 2.

I'm not sure what's bigger, my scuba habbit or my graphic novel one...

Watchmen is one of the best! I grew up in England so am quite fond of Sláine (Glenn Fabry and Simon Bisley version) but back then the story came in a weekly format in 2000 AD (probably still does) and was not collected into "graphic novel" form until later.

When I was in college one of my favourite was Cages by Dave McKean. Was also quite fond of Grendel and early Gaiman stuff like Miracle Man, Arkham Asylum, etc.

Am now very partial to stuff by Chris Ware and Daniel Clowes.

The Watchmen is still my all time favorite - and Rorschach my all time favorite graphic novel charachter - and costume. Notable quote "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

Sin City was well done in the movie version. Maybe someday with today's CGI a Watchmen movie will be made - I doubt it though as the 'Evil Empire' cold war mood isn't even really understood by the teens and 20-somethings of today in my experience. Or how something like the Kitty Genovese story could even happen. It's so alien to them.

I found another few books today I had totally forgotten... [wiki]Maus[/wiki] I & II.

I've never read V for Vendetta, but I've seen the movie, which is really good. Is the movie true to the book?

a page from my home life...

I started to leaf through one of my sons graphic novels. It did not make any sense to me. Am I going senile? Then the older son teases me, Dad if you want to read a Japanese book, you have to read right to left and start the the back. Duh!!

Ok, later that night they are watching a movie. I say hey mind if I join you. (I knew it was a spin off from a graphic novel.) They tell me, Dad, you wont understand it. I tell them, hey give me a chance will ya, I am not as dumb as I look..... They were right, I did not understand a single word, it was in some Asian dialect (presume Japanese).

Back
Top Bottom