Any Graphic Novel Fans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, Sin City is pretty incredible.

Some people don't realize how deep V for Vendetta really is. The author himself is an... interesting... character. VERY reclusive, legend has it he hasn't left the house in over a decade. His daughters do all the talking for him.

I wasn't a big fan of the movie, I thought it missed some of the finer points of the book. Alan Moore (author) is a proponent of anarchism, and V is a product of that.

I'm not an anarchist myself, I just like the way Alan Moore writes a story, and I think that V is actually his most uplifting work. Part of his message is that there is an enduring, powerful human spirit in all of us.

By far though, my favorite Alan Moore comic, and maybe graphic work of all time is The Watchmen.

The Watchmen is still my all time favorite - and Rorschach my all time favorite graphic novel charachter - and costume. Notable quote "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."
I just finished reading it today. And yes, he's quite the character.

Maybe someday with today's CGI a Watchmen movie will be made - I doubt it though as the 'Evil Empire' cold war mood isn't even really understood by the teens and 20-somethings of today in my experience.
Well, the film is being made now.

Here are some links and images:
ComedianFull-thumb.jpg
NIteOwlFull-thumb.jpg

OzymandiasFull-thumb.jpg
RorschachFull-thumb.jpg

SilkSpectreFull-thumb.jpg

Or how something like the Kitty Genovese story could even happen. It's so alien to them.
Kitty Genovese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

300 should be arriving on my doorstep next week.

Maus was excellent, and quite sobering in its stark honesty (primarily in the emotions of the characters).

I'm a long-time fan of Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo. I've met Sakai a couple of times, and he's one of the nicest guys in the business.

The Black Dragon was interesting (goes back about 20 - 25 years).

Two weeks from today, I'll be at San Diego Comic Con, covering it for CollectorTimes.com. I'll get to look up my favorite artists again.

I thought the movie did a decent job, especially considering the time lag between print version and screen version. They did a good job of music / soundtrack work that isn't possible in print. I didn't mourn the exclusion of the pirate story one bit. As kind of choppy as the movie was, it was plenty long enough already, without losing more audience interest, in staying closer to the print version on things like explaining Rorshach's origins more fully, and no mention of the right wing news publication he left his journal to, and the movie never really did show he was the guy with the "The End is Near" sign.

The actors for Rorschach and The Comedian nailed their parts dead-on. Most of the others did a good job. Ozymandias / Adrain Veidt - well, let's just say, the movie version of him showed the alternate universe the movie version Watchmen are in is truly, irrevocably doomed - if this is the smartest and most charismatic person on the planet.

There is hope for the future of our planet though. A Gen Y coworker actually said to me one of the things he really took away from the movie were the two charachters who would be judged insane, or deviants at best, by society's standards had the clearest vision of what was really going on in the world. Art imitating life, in its purest form IMO.

kwest, bone is really great for kids. My sister was ill for a while, and those comics kept her busy during rought treatments.

warmwaterdiver,
I enjoyed Watchmen. I accept that a movie simply can't be EXACT to the comic 99% of the time. I think they did a very good job including some of the most important parts of the comic. My biggest complain was Veidt. I did not care one bit for that actor. All in all, a good film.I enjoyed seeing it.

El Orans, I never thought witchblade was all the great really. Just didn't grab me. I'd much rather see a Zatana movie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom