Any good shops in Houston?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NauiIT:
I will be teaching for them.

Are they going to offer equipment servicing, and I mean onsite not just packaging it up and shipping to the Divers Direct service center?

The more I read, the more it seems Gander is NOT tryingto step on toes or put the LDS out of business. In fact, it seems the big winner here is Divers Direct, who has vaulted from a small regional player with 5 or 6 Florida stores to having a nationwide local presence. DD honors Minimum Advertised Price agreements with suppliers, are authorized dealers for the lines they carry, and operate above the board. I've been in their Florida City and Key Largo stores and they are nice.

Is this being set up as a "store within a store" arrangement sorta like Walmart has McDonald's and TSO and other stores along the front?

They are going to be a full service center.
Tank fills- air and Nitrox (32 and 36) tank inspections, regulator repair, the works.
They are currently waiting for the compressors to be delivered.
They do have a dedicated area for SCUBA, with a seperate checkout counter and display cases. They are really going all out to make sure they do this right.

Ok I just read the press release and Spring is a "test store" for them. It will be one of 4 in the nation. I guess if had been me I would have picked an area that didn't have 4 or 5 dive stores go out of business in the last year. Sounds like they are going at it full force. I wonder why they choose to affiliate with another dive company , if they have so much buying power maybe they can just cut out the middle man like Diver's Direct and do better on their own? Perhaps they will do that after they figure out if they are going to keep it going or not. I wish them luck, it's a tough business. Like I always say though the more divers we have in the water the better off the entire dive industry is as a whole.

Maybe they chose here *because* 4 or 5 shops recently closed and they perceive an underserved market?

They are probably partnering with DD because they want to bypass much of the learning curve and minimize infrastructure investment (DD already would have manufacturer relationships, industry-specific policies, applicable software, etc). It wouldn't be the first time a big player has used a small player to get them started then turned around and eaten them.

I'm excited and hopeful because I drive past their store every day to and from work. And nothing personal, but my perception of many LDS owners is that of either an attitude problem or unsavvy business acumen. I'm tired of scuba gear being sold like cars with pushy salesmen and hidden prices. Chains have their own set of problems for sure but at least they generally have competitive prices, consistent policies, flexible operating hours (I can shop on Sunday and holidays when *I* have free time), and generous return/exchange allowances.

And I suspect if were to go in and say "I bought this BC at this other LDS (or God forbid, online), can you service it" I won't be given a lecture about "life support" equipment, or being treated coldly for not giving them ALL my business, or being told BC service is $25 for *their* customers but $100 for unfaithful leeches like me.

True, maybe they chose it because the other shops have closed. I know I opened when other shops closed because I saw a void that needed to be filled. If the industry changes and people want a chain store then so be it. I think divers, consumers, people all want something different. Perhaps in a few years I will close after a good run and be done and move onto another hobby. In the mean time I will keep plugging away.
Back to the Game.....

GO MAVERICKS!!!!

I stopped by the store and it's set up real nice, lots of selection and standard Divers Direct prices. They carry Mares, Oceanic, Tusa, and a few other brands. I think it's safe to say you won't see Aqualung or Scubapro in there anytime soon.

Lots of tanks for sale, including Faber HP steel. Didn't see any LP steel. They have cheap air and Nitrox fills. But who's gonna want to haul tanks from the middle of a Walmart-sized parking lot to the back of a mega department store?

Their selection of wetsuits is lacking. Maybe the season, but I saw nothing over 3mm and no drysuits. The BCs were all vest style, no BP/W. Not many dive computers in the display case either.

They have spearguns and accessories, lots of little nick nack accessories at good prices, lots of masks and booties and gloves, dry boxes, and T-shirts. Spring straps for $30.

Nobody was manning the service island at 6 pm and it was nice to be able to browse and not be hounded by a sales associate, but I had a few questions. To be fair, a few associates asked if I needed help with anything but they clearly didn't work that department and were just passing by. I saw no posted information on maintenance or repairs or classes. They had their air fill and rental rates and policies posted.

All in all, it seems oriented more for newer divers who just need basic starting gear. Techies, DIR brats, and other hardcore divers may be able to pick up a few doodads but will have to look elsewhere for their major components. It certainly isn't the death knell of the LDS. Debra, if you can hold your own against ScubaToys you can easily deal with Gander.

Well you got my first laugh of the day!!! That was awesome, thanks for the review. I wondered about that tank situation and trying to haul tanks from the parking lot.
I used to work in a specialty dart store and billard supply house. Sure lots of big stores carried dart supplies and pool tables but the quality, selection of the bigger ticket, specialized items were no where to be found because they required more information that the chain store could not handle. On average I spend any where from 20-45 minutes with a customer on mask, boot, snorkel and fins selection. BCD's, Regulators, COMPUTERS!, filling out warranty can take 1- 2 hours. Yeah sometimes you have people come in that know exactly what they want and boom you are done. I can also field 10-40 calls a day all with individual wants and needs. Yes Gander will make an impact and people may show up at shops with gear they purchased there but that's ok too. I have people show up all the time with gear they purchased at Scubatoys, Ebay, Leisure Pro, etc. and take classes with us. I never say a word, and normally congratulate them on an excellent deal that they made. I can easily match or beat those prices and when people have shown up with gear it was a purchase they made because of the convenience, impulse, etc. I have been known to make a few impulse purchases myself! I try to look at the bigger picture, more people in the water, better for the industry as a whole. I wouldn't want one on every corner, but healthy competition never hurt anyone.

Wow I wished they would have chosen the Gander Mountain at 290 and 1960. Much closer to where I live even though I do drive by the Spring location 3-4 times a day 5 days a week. I might just have to make time to swing in and check it out.

Deb....I wish all shop owners had your outlook! Good on ya! :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom