Any good shops in Houston?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USCG flyer:
Thanks for the information folks! The following has nothing to do with any of you guys...
I took a trip to one of the shops. Spent several hundred on a BP/W, HID light and some other crap. Unfortunately for me, they didn't have all the parts I needed for the BP/W, so I was supposed to go back today. Called a few times, as my time in Houston is somewhat limited since I'm here working. The parts I'm assumming didn't come, but at least they could have returned a phone call. The stuff I bought was packaged so I wasn't as careful as I should have been, and there are a few things missing besides what I'm waiting for. I was sold a "Halcyon" harness, knowing nothing about the product (my own fault since I didn't research) I bought it. After looking at it online today, the harness I got doesn't look anything like what it should look like, and a phone call to Halcyon confirmed it...not genuine. The wing I bought was missing the LPI hose. I'm still waiting for my STA and Cam bands. The gentleman in the shop was nice enough, spent time with me and made me a good deal, but I have that "bad feeling" creeping in. I'm hoping I didn't do something I'll regret.

I sorry to see you walked into a spider's web. Please post the name of this shop
to help keep any others from falling victim.

Dave

Trust me, if I lost the parts, I would be the first one to admit I'm an idiot...
Like I said, tried to get in touch with the shop manager several times, and I didn't get a call back today either. The HID was a light cannon and not a can light. As for the harness, it is plain black (no blue Halcyon "H" on it") and the buckle has a Scubapro type "S" on it, but all those parts are there. The wing is quite new, just no inflator hose. As for the rest that I don't have yet, the STA and cam bands were supposed to be in on Friday, and I can understand that delays in shipping and foul ups happen, no big deal. However, they know my time here is limited and I would think they could at least return a call to let me know the status.

i would be curious to know the shop also. please let us know so we can be aware.

Not to kick a man when he's down, but you should have shopped around at the shops that were recommended to you. Then it is easier to compare "apples to apples".
Divers Paradise, just down Hwy 3 from Ellington, doesn't play those games. The mgr. can be a little rough around the edges but the prices are posted, they are discounted, and he has bulk products-that's how he is able to discount 20%-40% off msrp and that has also made him the top dealer in the South for Mares/Dacor, Aeris, etc. and such.

Scubafast, it was one of the shops recommended to me, and a large one at that...

I was hesitant to mention names, as I wanted to see if they would make it right. I wound up taking the stuff back today after I had still not gotten a return phone call today
(I waited until 5:00 pm). The owner who made the deal for me was not there and I was informed he was "not due back until next week" . I returned the items I had bought and informed them that the "halcyon harness" that I was sold was not genuine, and I had confirmed this with Halcyon. I also informed them that Halcyon told me they were not an authorized dealer...I found this to be the case with another item I bought, even though they are displayed that way on the shops website. They returned my stuff, without issue, and I left it be. I do not wish to smear a buisness, I bought it at a shop vice the internet because I like to see local shops stay in the community. The lady that was working was quite appologetic and was more than willing to do what she could and said she would get to the bottom of the harness thing. I am not a troll and am not here to start trouble. That is why I am unsure I should post the shops name.

Another thing to do in the future... ask the shop who they're a licensed dealer for. If they don't know if they're a halcyon dealer or not, and they have it sitting in the racks, nose around a little more. And another thing to look for, from my experience, is if they do mixed gasses. If you go into a shop handling air only, don't look to buy tech gear from them without really doing your research. It's like buying farm equipment from a lawn mower shop.

USCG...glad you can still find humor. :D Perhaps, instead of posting the shops name here, send the person who recommended it a personal message so at least they can know that "their" shop wasn't all it was suppose to be. For me personally, if one of the shops I recommended gave someone a hard time, I would like to know about it so I could talk to the management, because it makes me look bad...ya know? :wink:

I agree with the advice you have been given-My comment about "shopping around the shops you were recommended to so you could compare apples to apples" was not to say that you should have used one that was recommended by the others. It was to say that you could have compared them and then seen the differences. I personally would not buy from some of the shops that were recommended to you but I did not want to bad mouth anybody else if I didn't have too.
Oh, and the sizeof the store means nothing other than they have a higher rent bill than the next guy! (That may be why they have higher prices too?!)

It would be nice to know the name so we can keep track of which shops are honest/not so honest and it keeps them accountable too. Why support someone that rips people off. If they did it to you, then they have/will do it to others too.

Paramedic Diver and Scubafast, sent you guys some PMs before I post the name of the shop...I also read some post by member "Dandy Don" that popped up as related threads on the bottom of the screen. This sounds like it could be the same group of folks, and the circumstances sound similar, if you guys think it might be a trend by all means let me know. He didn't post the name of the shops, so I can't be sure.

Back
Top Bottom