Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys im getting certified now and the idea of diving for fossils and shark teeth is something i would really see my self enjoying. From the looks of reading through this thread it seems that most of this is done in FL or SC. Once i am certified i would love to give this a try i am from new england and was wondering if there is anything similar to this around here. I would also love to try down there as i often visit in citrus springs/ocala area.are there any places north of venice are to try this? thanks everyone sorry if this seems like a noob questions but im really interested after reading through here.

hello and welcome to diving. and welcome to this thread. What part of New England ? I got my open water in Glouster Mass. years ago . I think everyone on this thread will agree with me that if you want to start fossil diving you need to start in Fla. until you get some experience under your belt . The diving in S.C. can be a little hairy , and not for a new diver .. You can do fossil diving from Maryland all the way to Fla. if you know the right spots and what to look for . I personally havent heard of any fossil divin up north but I may be wrong . If you have any questions feel free to ask any one of us .

+1 for what Richiesgonedivin said. I have never heard of fossils being that far north but there are always new finds to be had. I totally agree that SC may not be the place to start. Reasons being that it might turn you off to diving and that is something that all of us would not like to see. Our diving world is dark, very dark, cold, currents, more or less solo, mud balls etc. It really is not a fear I am stressing but it is a different style of diving all together. Anyway, you are welcome to try it but the type of diving that we do you will seldom see in any books. (is that about right)?

Hello snadea1... I can give you an amateurs perspective.

Fossils are found in particular layers of the earth's surface. The layers that are commonly known by the fossilers of SC and FL are the Chandler Bridge and the Hawthorn Formation. Anywhere fossilized layers of the earth are exposed to the surface, one will find fossilized materials, including sharks teeth. These layers are typically composed of sandstone, limestone, marl, and some clays. When we find limestone (example of limestone on back of a fossilized scallop), littered with fossilized materials, we know we are on the right track.

The rivers cut through what is commonly called overburden. Overburden is dirt mixed with current day organic materials. The rivers cut into the layers of the earth that contain fossils. There are also areas on the surface that yield fossils (where the fossilized layer is exposed)

To locate hunting grounds in your area you can ask questions at your local dive shops. Make some postings on the Fossil Forum in regards to fossils in your area. Do internet searches focusing on your area and using words like paleontology, fossils, sharks teeth. Learn about the geology in your area. Seek out fossil clubs and others with the same interest.

Search thru books. A few of my favorite fossil books are:

Megalodon: Hunting the Hunter (part of this book was written by naui 15694. He posted earlier in this thread)

Discovering Fossils: How to find and identify remains of the prehistoric past

Vertebrate Fossils: A neophytes guide

In regards to the request for personal advice you requested in private, I think I will post publicly so others can benefit:

I would start with land hunting. Pay a guide for this. Then progress to shallow river hunting (prolific fossiler Debra Powell wading and digging in the edges, picks up a Meg) . All the while you can be developing your scuba skills. When you are on an advanced level of scuba, start diving the relatively clear and shallow waters offshore Venice FL. These things should keep you busy for a few years

Last edited:
Mike, any idea why we did not dive this?

100_8227.jpg

Mike, any idea why we did not dive this?

100_8227.jpg

I think because we were heading to another site. You know me, I won't pass up a potential site if I can help it, lol

On a side note, I will be going to the gun show in the morning tomorrow and then afterward heading over to the fossil show. I will have my orange dodge ram crew cab instead of the corvette so if you see the big orange there, then I am there, lol (unless the wifey gets her way then maybe the vette but I think the gun show parking is in the grass and I do not want to park the car in the grass.

Hi guys im getting certified now and the idea of diving for fossils and shark teeth is something i would really see my self enjoying. From the looks of reading through this thread it seems that most of this is done in FL or SC. Once i am certified i would love to give this a try i am from new england and was wondering if there is anything similar to this around here. I would also love to try down there as i often visit in citrus springs/ocala area.are there any places north of venice are to try this? thanks everyone sorry if this seems like a noob questions but im really interested after reading through here.

Hello snadea1, first welcome to this site and the hobby of diving. I would like to reiterate what some of my fellow fossil divers has said which is some sound advice. After getting certified, go to Venice Beach Florida and take a charter out in the Gulf and do some fossil diving there. It has good viz and you can concentrate on your techniques and what fossils to look for.
After that you would want to start black water diving in a more shallow-smaller river that you can wade into. This way if you freak out for any reason you can get out relatively easy.
Please understand that what we do as far as black water diving is very dangerous and definitely not for everyone. We dive in zero to little viz (1 foot or less is norm) and this is with strong dive lights. Add to this a current, alligators and snakes not to mention other animals. Did I mention downed trees also to deal with? This is a major hazard as well. I hit my head on a huge tree trunk and cut the top of my head open while doing a little drift diving down a river with about 1 foot viz. stupid on my part but you learn.
A lot of people cannot physiologically handle diving in complete blackness knowing that there are other predators (alligators and some bull sharks) in the water that can hit you without ever knows they are close. I am not trying to dissuade you from fossil diving, I only want you to know the risks and to properly train yourself for what we do. We all have a lot of time vested in proper training and know the risks that come along with this type of diving.
With that said, and if you are as crazy as we are, then get certified, do some diving and then come on down and do a charter either in the Edisto or Cooper river. That’ll let you know if you are truly as nuts as we are, lol.
I have not heard of any diving for fossils up your way but I do know guys go to Calvert Cliffs in Maryland and find some nice teeth up there. Also I have heard others search the Potomac river for teeth by looking and sifting.
I agree with Lee that you may want to start land hunting as well, I still do from time to time if I cannot get in the water.

Good luck and keep us posted ok. Ask questions and like the old saying goes, there is never a stupid question…….well, ok I guess there is but ask anyways, LOL

Hey guys thanks for the detailed replays. As I've said before this seems like it would be so much fun and something I can defiantly see my self doing. I will look into those books lee posted and continue looking and reading though scuba board. Thanks again, Steve

I will have my orange dodge ram crew cab instead of the corvette so if you see the big orange there, then I am there.

I will have my junky ass old clunker Ford Taurus with the dive flag on the rear bumper, boat hitch, roof top canoe scratches, rear floorboard scuba tank dents, scuba smelly trunk, and little dead crab skeletons here and there.

Richard Jacquot will be there and wants to talk about the Edisto. Here is his u-tube channel. Check it out. Some good Cooper river video footage

wncrocks's Channel - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom