Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike I think there is a quirk in the program. I don't think you are hitting the wrong damn button. Seem to be some kind of hidden trigger based on a certain sequence of events. Happens to me also. IT SUCKS. I mean really..... IT SUCKS BIG TIME.

One of the GREAT things about Phil is that he absolutely loves fossiling the rivers. Phil is very savvy when it comes to finding fossils beds. Even though he charges a fee, which i perfectly understand and have no problem with what so ever, he truly wants his customers to have a good time. I suspect he will work both the Cooper and Edisto this coming season and I think he will fossil the Wando if we prompt him. The only spot I dove on the Wando, the one next to Hwy 41, was really easy, and had great potential to produce. (excellent gravel)

Mike the photos you have posted (and the photos from others) are really enjoyable to see. Thanks for posting them. I hope we can keep it rolling. Its great to have others that enjoy the same hobby or hobbies.... scuba AND fossiling

ps: its very likely we will mess up the Edisto this season....as one old man said to Phil, Steve, and I one day... "that looks like more fun than a barrel of monkeys"

here is a video clip i took of the Cooper River just below the dam. looked like a great place to fossil dive to me

[video=youtube;ABCiPb4Zqv0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABCiPb4Zqv0[/video]

Im thinkin we all need to be getting some bottom time on the river so we can post some fresh pics.

I second that! I have not tried to catch up with you guys about diving as I am heading to the caves. Hope to meet you guys soon.

OBTW, I also don't believe that you are hitting the wrong key. I take time to read, look at the pictures, read again and then feel the need to post a reply. I type everything out, look over it to make sure it does not have mistakes and click on the "post quick reply" button. Most often I get an error msg. telling I need to refresh screen. When I do, it comes back up minus the reply I have typed. I sometimes just say forget it and move on or retype everything again. Lately, everytime before I click on the Post quick reply button, I highlight and copy. Then when I refresh I just paste in on and send it. PITA!! So if I did not post a great likeing of some of your hard work, and it is work...fun but still work I am sorry but some times I don't have the time to retype everything again. Oh, I said work. I would bet a lot of money, sorry but the teeth are harder to come by, that each and everyone of us have horror stories to tell about the Cooper. i.e. current changes, being hit by debris, you hitting debris, snakes, boats, darkness, coldness, fishermen etc. And damn I miss dearly. Take care and I loved the slave tag, helmet and the green tooth as well as other pictures. Take care. (over 2800 views...wow)

.... I would bet a lot of money, sorry but the teeth are harder to come by, that each and everyone of us have horror stories to tell about the Cooper. i.e. current changes, being hit by debris, you hitting debris, snakes, boats, darkness, coldness, fishermen etc. And damn I miss dearly. Take care and I loved the slave tag, helmet and the green tooth as well as other pictures. Take care. (over 2800 views...wow)

LOL, well, I had something hit my foot one day and I could not see what it was, then it hit my foot again and I figured it might be a gator cuz I was in shallow water and I have a gator story to tell you all some time, SO I kicked as hard as I could thinking I would kick the thing in the snout and scare it but I kicked emptiness. Then a few minutes later something bumped my side. I carry a knife on me and I rolled and pulled my knife out only to see a big fish. Fish seem to gather around me as I stir up the sediment.

Another time I caught something in my vision coming at me and it was BIG!!!!! it was the carcass of a deer, lol My dive buddy told me he found a deer leg, and I told him I found the rest of the deer.

Snakes and eels around me is no biggy, it is just part of the deal.

There are a lot of people that would like to try what we do and they think it may even be easy but a lot can not handle the fact of near zero visibility and knowing that there are snakes, and alligators in the water with us not to mention large catfish and GAR's. When people at work ask what it is like I say imagine going into a closet and shutting the door, now face a corner and close your eyes when it is nice and dark, that is it but add water and current. LOL

I am interested to hear what others have come across.

The stories that come to my mind are:

a tugboat pushing a flat barge down river. the barge was the size of .... oh lets say a football field. i stood there with my jaw hanging as a loud speaker on the tug asked "are there any divers in the water?"

the saturday afternoon i inadvertently backed up under something like a mud/plywood ceiling... i got the hell out of there QUICKLY

the day Phil and I suited up in a heavy swarm of nats. I looked at him and his mask ( now on his face) was slam jam full of nats. His plan was to flush them out underwater. Okay fine...but it was funny as sh*t

the day we were coaxing a diver to "swim faster" ..."swim faster" to the boat. we did not let on that there was a huge alligator following behind him (true story)

the day we were diving VERY shallow water and Phil said "if you get in trouble... just stand up"

the day i found a complete Mastodon tooth, put it in my bag, went back to the boat, handed my bag up to Mike and said, " check out my stuff, i think i might have found something good" (his reaction was priceless)

the day i found a complete Mastodon tooth, put it in my bag, went back to the boat, handed my bag up to Mike and said, " check out my stuff, i think i might have found something good" (his reaction was priceless)

LOL~! I remember that day and will for the rest of my life. I couldn't believe it and it sure was nice to look at Lee. I was happy for you for finding it and I did find a partial Mastodon tooth that day too but it a much MUCH smaller then your tooth, lol

I have a funny story to share with y'all. So one day I was in the Edisto river and we were in shallow water but a good gravel bed. We were at a popular spot where people would launch tubes to go floating down river. Now I forgot my light so whenever people would float over head, I would just wait for their shadow to pass before I continued with my dive.
Well, there was a few people playing on the edge of the water and a buddy of mine who is a sheriff's deputy was above water, no diving for him that day. Anyhow, a huge shadow comes over me and I see these legs bouncing like the guy is in the water but is hanging on to his inner tube and bouncing down the river. He is coming at me and his foot lands right in front of my mask so when he was bouncing up, I decided to grab his ankle and pull down hard and let go. I do this and this guy goes into high step mode and steps on my head, my tank and my leg, LOL

I give it a few minutes for the group to float down river before I surface and when I do everyone is laughing so hard. My buddy asked what the heck I did to that poor guy and I told him. He said the poor guy dang near had a heart attack screaming "A GATOR GOT ME! A GATOR GOT ME!!!!!" LOL

I have a funny story to share with y'all. So one day I was in the Edisto river and we were in shallow water but a good gravel bed. We were at a popular spot where people would launch tubes to go floating down river. Now I forgot my light so whenever people would float over head, I would just wait for their shadow to pass before I continued with my dive.
Well, there was a few people playing on the edge of the water and a buddy of mine who is a sheriff's deputy was above water, no diving for him that day. Anyhow, a huge shadow comes over me and I see these legs bouncing like the guy is in the water but is hanging on to his inner tube and bouncing down the river. He is coming at me and his foot lands right in front of my mask so when he was bouncing up, I decided to grab his ankle and pull down hard and let go. I do this and this guy goes into high step mode and steps on my head, my tank and my leg, LOL

I give it a few minutes for the group to float down river before I surface and when I do everyone is laughing so hard. My buddy asked what the heck I did to that poor guy and I told him. He said the poor guy dang near had a heart attack screaming "A GATOR GOT ME! A GATOR GOT ME!!!!!" LOL

priceless!

Back
Top Bottom