Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will send you some text messages tomorrow Phil. I was thinking about a pump the other day when I was thinking about dry sites. Mike gave me a site I named Great White creek. Named after the 2.5" Great White tooth he found there. I have visually surveyed Great White creek. It looks clean and productive. Google maps shows it to be 4 to 5 miles long. Since I am not a fan of submerging in water below 70 degrees, I have picked out two public landings on the Edisto just below where I found the Mastodon tooth. They would be on the right when traveling down river. My plan is to wade-in, using waders with wetsuit underneath. I will then shovel the gravel (if there is any there) with my long handle scoop. I will shovel it into my floating screen sifter.

ps: I found dozens of teeny teeth at our favorite put in place using this same method.

You company is greatly welcomed. I had you pegged as a scuba fossiler only. Glad you are interested. Hard to find a good fossil head these days.

---------- Post added December 13th, 2012 at 10:20 AM ----------

By the way, Phil, Steve said he is planning some scuba fossiling in 2013 season. Have not been able to reach Vinson. Will probably search up NC John. I saw a serious fossil head in him.

---------- Post added December 13th, 2012 at 07:39 PM ----------

Found this photo on the East Coast Fossil Club Facebook page. Looks like some real fine specimens to me

430854_572044096145881_179082865_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Joe and thanks for asking. I put all the gear in the truck bed this morning, put on a thin wetsuit (up to my chest), and two pairs of socks. I then pulled a pair of hip waders on and headed on out. Turns out my new acquaintance is quite a fossil head. He does not dive. He is what I would call a "pile digger". He took me to his sites and we dug the mounds of dirt piled up by construction workers. He found one really fine large Hemi with beautiful colors. Other than that one, the rest of the findings were basically not much. I am meeting with Scubadaddee and John, a new acquaintance from Columbia, tomorrow. I think we will have much better luck tomorrow because we are hitting a creek that has produced large Great Whites. I have looked at the creek and it looks clean and definitely the type that will yield. It looks to be about five miles long. We may also go over and do a wade-in/shovel/scoop/surface screen sift in the Edisto.

ps: the mornings are cool but the temp is running up in the afternoons. The wetsuit I wore under the waders was actually unnecessary today. I think the wetsuit under the waders would be a good thing in the river in case you get some water over the top of the waders and down ones legs. In addition one will be standing in much deeper water and water removes heat quickly.

I am happy scuba fossiling, wet screen sifter fossiling, socializing, and just having fun.

BUT when I find myself digging and digging and digging laboriously in the dry dirt my mind always goes to the following

images

Did not find a lot today. Mostly teeny teeth. My first Squalodon juvenile tooth. Turtle shell. Dugong bone. Hemi. Sand Tiger. One of the guys brought some teeth he found earlier this season. He just wanted to see us drool.

Teeny Teeth
100_0778_zps2df7851d.jpg

One of the other guys Edisto river specimens
100_0771_zps61900b2d.jpg

Edisto River Black Beauties
100_0770_zps0a79ef31.jpg

It did render a few great teeth as well as some other fossels. If you are still willing to take a digger / diver under your wing I can be there on the 30th. I am not inviting myself along but asking to join you for a good day od fosseling. I have yet to wade and dig and prefer diving but I am willing to learn, or do both. Let me know if I need tanks. A walk in dive would be great.

Not bad for a few hours Lee, and a nice day for playing in the water too! I got out for a few hours yesterday to look around the lake for arrowheads with no luck at all, but nice to get out anyway. Here is a Saber Cat tooth I found a couple of years ago in the Cooper.MUSEUM AND MY COLLECTION 228.jpg

The weather was actually fabulous over the weekend. The temperature was excellent. Great weekend to enjoy nature. Which we did! My only downside was my waders filled with water while in the Edisto. I had anticipated this so I wore a thin wetsuit underneath. Phil waded to the far side of the river and I think he even got water down his chest waders. I heard a loud.... WOOOOO....which usually means ice water where you do not want it

Joe I agree with Mike. The cat tooth is definitely a cool find. Saw walrus ivory on "Pawn Stars" the other night. They accessed its value at 1500

Mike we hit the creek site you pointed me to. Phil felt it had be hit hard. Looks like it was a excellent spot. I will try access way on up stream. I think a virgin spot on that creek would fill the bucket

Phil has this neat little gasoline powered water pump for washing the screens. Looks like a slick trick to me. Giant screen. Shovels. Water pump. I am getting a visual and it has not even happened yet

started the "breaking in" process on my new 4x4. saw a mud hole and could not resist jumping right in. i can see my truck and i are in for a long love affair. mud and trucks just seem to go together

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom