Any experience with the PST E7 Steel 100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm looking at high pressure steel tanks. The E7 100 looks pretty nice. It will fill to 80CF@2640, 89CF@3000, or the full 100CF@3442. Its buoyancy swing is -8.5# to -1.0#.

Does anyone have experience with one?

I just ordered one last week and am waiting for it to arrive. Interested in hearing what others have to say as well. I would like to eventually pick up another and possibly double them up, then use the PST E7-120 for singles.

I have two of them, and I am very happy with these tanks. I used to rent AL80 on dive boats, with all the bad buoyancy characteristics. The E7 100 are smaller, hold more air, and you need less weight (or none at all). They are not heavier than an AL80. The only thing you have to be careful about is that dive shops don't give you short fills.

They make great singles for recreational diving. One of my buddies as 2 sets of doubles made out of them, but I don't think he is all that pleesed with how they trim out as doubles.

I dive cold water in a d.s. or 7mm wetsuit...and the PST 100 is my favorite tank for boat diving and beach dives that don't include goat trails along cliffs. Have done 100-150 dives with it in 2 years.

Great buoyancy characteristics, as you mentioned.

Plenty of air on boats that fill to only 3,000 psi. Crazy air when filled to max!!!!

Easy for a reasonably strong 5'8" diving 'chica to handle.

I break out the PST 80's for shallow dives, multiple beach dives, and long cliff hikes.

Really easy to switch from DIN to yoke.

Note: Watch for rust if you fill often on boats! I now pop the valve and look in every 4 months, as manual cleaning has been needed to remove rust. (Yeah, I wish the boats could do a better job at dehumidifying their air.)
Also, there is a school of thought that one should remove the giant blue PST sticker asap, as it may trap moisture and degrade the surface coating.

Enjoy!

HBDiveGirl:
Note: Watch for rust if you fill often on boats! I now pop the valve and look in every 4 months, as manual cleaning has been needed to remove rust. (Yeah, I wish the boats could do a better job at dehumidifying their air.)

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

HBDiveGirl:
Also, there is a school of thought that one should remove the giant blue PST sticker asap, as it may trap moisture and degrade the surface coating.
Enjoy!

I agree with that school of thought. Other than the VIP sticker, none for me, thanks.

Did you buy yours locally (I just noticed the HB stands for Hermosa) or are there decent deals online? The best I'm finding is at diveriteexpress.

Blackwood:
Did you buy yours locally (I just noticed the HB stands for Hermosa) or are there decent deals online? The best I'm finding is at diveriteexpress.
I've purchased a total of three PST h.p. steel tanks over the past two years, (one 100, two 80's,) all from SeaDSea in Redondo Beach. Each time I was ready to buy a tank, SeaDSea's price was better than the other three LDS's I checked my area. I try to balance online money-saving purchases with reasonable support of the LDSs that I rely upon most for knowledge and assistance. Due the weight/shipping, I thought tank purchases were probably a logical item to purchase locally.
Barry at SeaDSea has been hugely helpful.

Cheers,
Claudette

HBDiveGirl:
I've purchased a total of three PST h.p. steel tanks over the past two years, (one 100, two 80's,) all from SeaDSea in Redondo Beach. Each time I was ready to buy a tank, SeaDSea's price was better than the other three LDS's I checked my area. I try to balance online money-saving purchases with reasonable support of the LDSs that I rely upon most for knowledge and assistance. Due the weight/shipping, I thought tank purchases were probably a logical item to purchase locally.
Barry at SeaDSea has been hugely helpful.

Cheers,
Claudette

Yah, I'm familiar with Barry. He's a good guy, as are the folks up at Ocean Adventures.

I currently have two PST HP 102's and like them a lot. These are the predecessor's to the E7-100's. It's great to have this much air in a package roughly the size of an AL80 and better bouyancy characteristics.

Back
Top Bottom