Any experience with rental gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
3dent,
Just my curiosity! I don't know how far from Scubatoys you are?

I'm in Cedar Park, north of Austin. Looks like ScubaToys is north of Dallas. About 200 miles according to MapQuest, and I would have to traverse Dallas. Wouldn't mind stopping in if I ever get up that way, but I avoid Dallas like the plague, so probably won't happen. Much easier to order online.

hoosier:
At least, you are in the same state. Why did you put yourself into the hassle to get the gear?

Not sure exactly what you are talking about here. I was making a general statement regarding used gear I've seen in LDSs in CA, CO, and here in the Austin area (I've lived here just under two years). Used gear doesn't seem to get much mark-down. If you’re promoting ScubaToys/Online/Mail-order, I agree.

The only real hassle I've experienced was trying to get Beauchat regs serviced while I was living in Colorado. Seems the LDSs were boycotting them, but that's another story...

hoosier:
Do you know how much other divers in other states envy you guys who live in TX? If you live in Mid-West, it is often worse case than you had. The shop used to monopolize the market. They don’t care how market goes in outside of world.

I'm still a lot farther from the salt water than I'd like, but better than Colorado!

I don’t think online retailers have affected the LDSs here any more than other parts of the country. Maybe closer to Dallas, but I don’t know.

hoosier:
In addition, I am getting sick and tried of seeing some DMs and instructors who are buttering up the shop owners to maintain 20% discount of the gear and a free scuba trip with the customers. Of course, they always study owner’s facial expression.

Afraid I'm oblivious on this one...

Back
Top Bottom