Any experience using standard camera ($100-$200) without external flash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you haven't bought the Ikelite case yet you might check if there's a Canon case, it would likely be cheaper. The Ikelite cases are better made and sturdier, but generally bulkier and not suited to one-handed shooting. I've had several Canon cases and never had one leak or fail. I only buy off eBay and have had almost no problems.

There are cheaper strobe options - slaves. You don't get variable strobe output with any of the really cheap ones, but you can work around that. Morris makes one that is handheld, looks like a flashlight, for under $50 new. I've got one but haven't tried it out yet. I've used the Ikelight A35 and they're pretty good quality for the money. They make a similar looking AQ/S that's less powerful. You can get the A35 for well under $100 on eBay when it comes up, and the AQ/S often goes for less than $50. Bonica makes/made an inexpensive slave strobe but I haven't used one. My impression is that the Ikelite is probably the most power for the $$. Their customer service is great too. I find the Ikelites easy to trigger - which gives some latitude in positioning the strobe for exposure. I played a bit with a Bonica and it was hard to trigger.

Good luck!

If you haven't bought the Ikelite case yet you might check if there's a Canon case, it would likely be cheaper. The Ikelite cases are better made and sturdier, but generally bulkier and not suited to one-handed shooting. I've had several Canon cases and never had one leak or fail. I only buy off eBay and have had almost no problems.

There are cheaper strobe options - slaves. You don't get variable strobe output with any of the really cheap ones, but you can work around that. Morris makes one that is handheld, looks like a flashlight, for under $50 new. I've got one but haven't tried it out yet. I've used the Ikelight A35 and they're pretty good quality for the money. They make a similar looking AQ/S that's less powerful. You can get the A35 for well under $100 on eBay when it comes up, and the AQ/S often goes for less than $50. Bonica makes/made an inexpensive slave strobe but I haven't used one. My impression is that the Ikelite is probably the most power for the $$. Their customer service is great too. I find the Ikelites easy to trigger - which gives some latitude in positioning the strobe for exposure. I played a bit with a Bonica and it was hard to trigger.

Good luck!

Good advice, unfortunately I don't think Canon makes a case for my model.

Not a bad idea to look for a cheaper strobe though, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Good advice, unfortunately I don't think Canon makes a case for my model.

Not a bad idea to look for a cheaper strobe though, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

They do make one:WP-DC12, runs about half the Ike. I use the Canon case and it has served me well on a couple of hundred dives

They do make one:WP-DC12, runs about half the Ike. I use the Canon case and it has served me well on a couple of hundred dives

Actually, no, it does not fit. The DC12 fits the 570IS and will not fit the 590IS despite early reports it did. I know this because I have a DC12 and I took it and tried to put a 590IS in the housing and it does NOT fit, no cigar there bud.

N

Actually, no, it does not fit. The DC12 fits the 570IS and will not fit the 590IS despite early reports it did. I know this because I have a DC12 and I took it and tried to put a 590IS in the housing and it does NOT fit, no cigar there bud.

N
Interesting, real life versus advertising:https://www.provantage.com/canon-1909b001~4CAND0E0.htm

Guess the guy is stuck with the Ike, and I really wanted a cigar, bud....
duty_calls.png

There have been several threads on various forums addressing the early misinformation that was given on the Canon USA webpage. Yes, initially it was listed as a fit and that is where all of the confusion comes from. Unfortuantely the button positon and actual size of the two cameras are slightly different. I have a DC12 housing, the 590IS will not fit. The web page is wrong. If I am wrong, I get you that cigar. Bummer too because I wanted a third spare to go with my two 570s.

The comic you posted is funny but in my case I don't care that you are wrong, I care that somebody might spend money thinking you are correct and then be stuck with something that does not work for them. Not meant to hurt you but to help the other, sorry if it makes you angry at me.

N

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3506 is all shot with a Canon G7 with the CHDK - CHDK Wiki mod. None of them with strobe or flash. The CHDK mod allows a lot of canon cameras which otherwise cant to shoot raw format files and its a simple program that boots from the memory card, so no mods to the camera is needed.
The pictures "as is" is usually getting a rather bad green tint as you get deeper and that get worse without a flash, but a raw format file and a photo program removes that issue quite nicely.

There have been several threads on various forums addressing the early misinformation that was given on the Canon USA webpage. Yes, initially it was listed as a fit and that is where all of the confusion comes from. Unfortuantely the button positon and actual size of the two cameras are slightly different. I have a DC12 housing, the 590IS will not fit. The web page is wrong. If I am wrong, I get you that cigar. Bummer too because I wanted a third spare to go with my two 570s.

The comic you posted is funny but in my case I don't care that you are wrong, I care that somebody might spend money thinking you are correct and then be stuck with something that does not work for them. Not meant to hurt you but to help the other, sorry if it makes you angry at me.

N

Oh no, I am not angry, I was being funny, all of my attempts at internet humor have fallen flat lately. I am glad you did too because you saved me a mistake also, my daughter has "acquired" my A95 and housing so I was looking at the 590 as a replacement

Sorry if I appeared angry, I just cannot seem to get the hang of translating the things I think are funny to the web....

Or I am just not as funny as I think I am

Oh no, I am not angry, I was being funny, all of my attempts at internet humor have fallen flat lately. I am glad you did too because you saved me a mistake also, my daughter has "acquired" my A95 and housing so I was looking at the 590 as a replacement

Sorry if I appeared angry, I just cannot seem to get the hang of translating the things I think are funny to the web....

Or I am just not as funny as I think I am

No worries, I was having a sensitive moment as in I fully realize I am a -----> :dork2:. If Canon has changed something to make it fit that would be great, don't think so however. It was (is) a bummer because, the 590 being a drop in replacement for a 570, would have provided a supply of replacment and upgrade choices for a bunch of people, but nooooooooooooooooooooo, they had to move the stupid buttons around--why?:confused:

N

but nooooooooooooooooooooo, they had to move the stupid buttons around--why?:confused:

N

So people spend more money on new housings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom