any configuration available in the Shearwater Cloud app?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting about the lack of support, I've submitted a few small bug and feature requests that have always gotten responses. I do agree their technical diving interface/feature set isn't the best.

The lack luster UI aside, my biggest thing against the shearwater log app is that it only supports shearwater products. Currently I'm diving them exclusively but that's not to say I will forever. So I'm not overly interested in getting it all setup to only loose it when I switch computers.

Subsurface has the technical support, and long lasting characteristics I desire, but I just can't get past the UI/UX, it’s just so bad.
Slightly in their defense, I just emailed support@mac-dive.com and didn't really apply any further pressure. Maybe some coaxing would have provided a different outcome, but I am of the mind that I shouldn't have to beg someone to talk to me if I paid for something.

I only have Shearwater computers so in my case it is straightforward.

Not to keep beating up Macdive, but IIRC you cannot export your logs after they are in the app in any industry accepted format where migration to another dive log is easy. The other problem is that if you were to move away from Apple's ecosystem, you are out of luck. I try to steer away from any software that incorporates vendor lock-in as a standard business practice.

However, I really really liked Macdive until I outgrew it and became more aware of some of the things I have brought up. I guess if I used a different computer I would have to either burn my eyes with Subsurface or look a writing my own hooks to get the data.

Slightly in their defense, I just emailed support@mac-dive.com and didn't really apply any further pressure. Maybe some coaxing would have provided a different outcome, but I am of the mind that I shouldn't have to beg someone to talk to me if I paid for something.

I only have Shearwater computers so in my case it is straightforward.

Not to keep beating up Macdive, but IIRC you cannot export your logs after they are in the app in any industry accepted format where migration to another dive log is easy. The other problem is that if you were to move away from Apple's ecosystem, you are out of luck. I try to steer away from any software that incorporates vendor lock-in as a standard business practice.

However, I really really liked Macdive until I outgrew it and became more aware of some of the things I have brought up. I guess if I used a different computer I would have to either burn my eyes with Subsurface or look a writing my own hooks to get the data.

They do have a dive export function now, not sure if that’s new/different from the version you had.

Throwing in my (unsolicited) two cents, I would be uncomfortable with ANY online log as my one and only dive log. Way back when I first started diving in 2006 I developed a custom spreadsheet in Excel. I've refined it and used it ever since. That is my actual log book. I am happy to use Shearwater Cloud as a way to download my dives, access all of the data collected, and all I enter there is the location and site to make the log more readable. All of the recording of dive charter operator, boat, buddies, equipment, exposure protection, weighting, tank used, etc., is done in my spreadsheet. I would not trust that data in any dive log as its sole storage location. There are no data standards and no industry standard interconnectivity to provide me any comfort as to the safety and long-term sustainability of that data. Excel on the other hand will still be here in 50 years. It may not look the same, but it will be able to read today's spreadsheets. I could switch to a Garmin or, God forbid a Suunto, tomorrow and my dive log would remain as it is today. All that would change is how I get the data that I record in my spreadsheet.

Reactions: eab
Throwing in my (unsolicited) two cents, I would be uncomfortable with ANY online log as my one and only dive log. Way back when I first started diving in 2006 I developed a custom spreadsheet in Excel. I've refined it and used it ever since. That is my actual log book. I am happy to use Shearwater Cloud as a way to download my dives, access all of the data collected, and all I enter there is the location and site to make the log more readable. All of the recording of dive charter operator, boat, buddies, equipment, exposure protection, weighting, tank used, etc., is done in my spreadsheet. I would not trust that data in any dive log as its sole storage location. There are no data standards and no industry standard interconnectivity to provide me any comfort as to the safety and long-term sustainability of that data. Excel on the other hand will still be here in 50 years. It may not look the same, but it will be able to read today's spreadsheets. I could switch to a Garmin or, God forbid a Suunto, tomorrow and my dive log would remain as it is today. All that would change is how I get the data that I record in my spreadsheet.
I do almost the same.
I download my computers into Shearwater, Oceanic, Sensus, Subsuface, (old) DiveStory, whatever computers I happen to dive with. Then I transfer to a custom spreadsheet (now 24 years old, updated a few times...) that is stored in the cloud, on my laptop, on my desktop, on my tablet, and on my phone, and backed-up as part of my regular backup.
It's worked for 3000+ dive so far. As Steven Wright said (about his plan to live forever): so far, so good.

How old is your Mac and what version of macOS are you running? If the Mac is fairly recent, you should be able to connect via Bluetooth.

It's a macbook air, about 3 years old and running ventura 13.something. I keep it current.

I can't seem to get the Subsurface to recognize that the computer bluetooth is turned on. Although I can connect to other bluetooth devices, Subsurface never lists the Teric (also in bluetooth connect mode) in the Discovered devices section.

As a Mac user, I would highly endorse MacDive. Fair warning, you have to buy twice (desktop and iOS). That being said it's phenomenal software. Subsurface has more technical diving support and is more advanced but it has the UI/UX equivalent of stepping on legs with bare feet (it somehow makes Shearwater's software look good). I generally advocate to not use any dive computer manufacturer (or certification agency) dive log software.

As to your questions
  1. Not to my knowledge
  2. You can just type over them and replace them
  3. Nope
  4. Nope
I have always found it easier, regardless of app, to download dives on mobile devices versus desktop. Then just cloud sync in some manner to do the editing typing on desktop. Subsurface, MacDive, and Shearwater all have mobile apps that support that workflow. I've always had more issues connecting dive computers to desktop (linux, windows, and MacOS doesn't seem to matter) than mobile.

I know I checked out MacDive when I first switched to a Mac, but I didn't see the value. I really only log the dives so I can keep track of water temps in repeat dive locations so I can plan my exposure suit.

You did plant the seed of trying to connect the Teric to an iPhone app. Maybe that will be the easy answer. Thanks!

I would get the Subsurface app for whatever mobile platform you're on (Android or iOS) and upload your dives from your Teric to your phone via Bluetooth. Bluetooth to a desktop is notoriously buggy.

Then create a Subsurface cloud account to which you will be able to save your dives from your mobile device.

Once in the cloud you easily edit on your desktop. That's what I do for my Peregrine logs.
Thanks. The reply above yours planted the seed and you just plain out said it. I don't really feel the need for a dive log app on my phone, but I suppose the ability to still use Subsurface might just be a reason.

Definitely agree on the mac - bluetooth being buggy.

Interesting about the lack of support, I've submitted a few small bug and feature requests that have always gotten responses. I do agree their technical diving interface/feature set isn't the best.

The lack luster UI aside, my biggest thing against the shearwater log app is that it only supports shearwater products. Currently I'm diving them exclusively but that's not to say I will forever. So I'm not overly interested in getting it all setup to only loose it when I switch computers.

Subsurface has the technical support, and long lasting characteristics I desire, but I just can't get past the UI/UX, it’s just so bad.
That has been my problem. Uwatec to Suunto to Shearwater. Plus, I added the complication of windows to mac.

I'm sure there must be a vendor agnostic app out there!

I feel that. I lost about 800 dives due to a hard drive crash and replaced computer batteries. I was able to download the ones in my computer, but have no idea of any of the additional, non computer tracked data. Kinda useless.

Maybe a regularly scheduled export might be a good idea. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom