any configuration available in the Shearwater Cloud app?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just recently swallowed the Shearwater Kool-Aid and am struggling with the crappy dive log software. Seriously? My old Uwatec software had more bells and whistles!

I'm certain there is more that I want, but at a minimum.....
  • Any way to change the columns displayed in the table?
  • Any way to edit the dive sites? Seems I can add but not edit?
  • Any way to make default "Platform" and "Environment" options under Environment? Same for "Apparatus" and "Tank Size" under Gear?
  • Is it possible, and how, to add additional "Dress" options under Gear?

I managed to get comfortable with Subsurface, but now have no way to connect my Teric.

On a Mac if that matters.

Thanks!

How old is your Mac and what version of macOS are you running? If the Mac is fairly recent, you should be able to connect via Bluetooth.

Reactions: eab
As a Mac user, I would highly endorse MacDive. Fair warning, you have to buy twice (desktop and iOS). That being said it's phenomenal software. Subsurface has more technical diving support and is more advanced but it has the UI/UX equivalent of stepping on legs with bare feet (it somehow makes Shearwater's software look good). I generally advocate to not use any dive computer manufacturer (or certification agency) dive log software.

As to your questions
  1. Not to my knowledge
  2. You can just type over them and replace them
  3. Nope
  4. Nope
I have always found it easier, regardless of app, to download dives on mobile devices versus desktop. Then just cloud sync in some manner to do the editing typing on desktop. Subsurface, MacDive, and Shearwater all have mobile apps that support that workflow. I've always had more issues connecting dive computers to desktop (linux, windows, and MacOS doesn't seem to matter) than mobile.

I would get the Subsurface app for whatever mobile platform you're on (Android or iOS) and upload your dives from your Teric to your phone via Bluetooth. Bluetooth to a desktop is notoriously buggy.

Then create a Subsurface cloud account to which you will be able to save your dives from your mobile device.

Once in the cloud you easily edit on your desktop. That's what I do for my Peregrine logs.

Another vote for Macdive, it’s my go to!

Macdive had an issue with the app crashing. I had everything cloud synced to my Dropbox and when I tried to refresh the app, it deleted ALL of my log and I found no way to restore from Dropbox. I reached out to support for help on June 25, 2022 and never received a response. I moved away from it due to bugs, lack of support, lack of functionality towards more technical diving (they may have updates since then). Shearwater seems lackluster, but stable and I guarantee someone would pick up the phone or answer an email if you reached out.

Macdive had an issue with the app crashing. I had everything cloud synced to my Dropbox and when I tried to refresh the app, it deleted ALL of my log and I found no way to restore from Dropbox. I reached out to support for help on June 25, 2022 and never received a response. I moved away from it due to bugs, lack of support, lack of functionality towards more technical diving (they may have updates since then). Shearwater seems lackluster, but stable and I guarantee someone would pick up the phone or answer an email if you reached out.

Interesting about the lack of support, I've submitted a few small bug and feature requests that have always gotten responses. I do agree their technical diving interface/feature set isn't the best.

The lack luster UI aside, my biggest thing against the shearwater log app is that it only supports shearwater products. Currently I'm diving them exclusively but that's not to say I will forever. So I'm not overly interested in getting it all setup to only loose it when I switch computers.

Subsurface has the technical support, and long lasting characteristics I desire, but I just can't get past the UI/UX, it’s just so bad.

Subsurface has the technical support, and long lasting characteristics I desire, but I just can't get past the UI/UX, it’s just so bad.
Plus, it is pretty much a one-man show. If he gets bored with it, or too oissed off, or ht by a bus, that's it. No substantial company with competent staff behind it.

Plus, it is pretty much a one-man show. If he gets bored with it, or too oissed off, or ht by a bus, that's it. No substantial company with competent staff behind it.
MacDive? Yeah.

That being said I’ll chisel my dive log in stone before I subject myself to Subsurface. I don’t have anywhere the masochist tendencies enough for that to be a primary dive log lol.

• Funny
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom