Any comments on Garmin Descent MK1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to open this up again.

I'd say that was a fair report - especially since you've used it for a while (rather than the glowign reports about a bit of kit when the user has just opened the box or dipped in the pool)

Nice to see people give real world positives and negatives not matter how small, as a little detail might be the decision maker for some

Until manufacturers get voice recognition - so I can shout "where's my F'ing computer" and the computer recognises me and responds "over here dumb ass" Then I'll stick with bricks

I need something easy to find when I aimlessly put it down (because I'm rubbish)

The only big negative for me is the altitude. My heart rate has been spot on. and everything seems to work well. Except for altitude.

Until manufacturers get voice recognition - so I can shout "where's my F'ing computer" and the computer recognises me and responds "over here dumb ass" Then I'll stick with bricks
Actually, the Garmin Descent Mk1 has this! Well not voice recognition but something that might help.

Within the Garmin Connect app on your phone there is a "Find My Device" option. If you are within Bluetooth range it will make the Mk1 chime. It's not very loud but maybe enough.

As the Mk1 is an everyday watch, it will most likely be on your wrist. :p

I use the Descent a lot while hiking in the foothills here in Boise. So accurate altitude and heartbeat measurements are important to me. I have worn the Descent on the inside of my wrist, the outside, and on the outside with the hair shaved around the sensor. Climbing the hills you get a lot of fluctuations in heartbeat. The Garmin alone gives wildly erratic indications of heartbeat. It took coupling with a cheap CooSpo arm sensor to give reliable readings. If they could fix the altitude problem I'd be a lot happier. I have heard that Garmin has developed a map product that has altitude references built in that they use on other watch products. Whether they will update the Descent, I dunno.

By the way, the GPS distance traveled is not too bad, usually about 10% high when compared with others in my group. And the battery life is pretty good if you are careful with set up and aftermarket apps.

If the Garmin were only $500. I would have a different attitude. But for $1000 bucks it makes for a very expensive non AI backup computer.

Yes, altitude is not accurate but that's more the nature of trying to determine altitude using pressure. I doubt you will find any watches that can consistently give accurate altitude readings.

Measuring altitude using pressure is not like measuring depth using pressure. Water doesn't compress and so the pressure is directly proportional to the mass of the volume of water above. All you need to know is the density of the water and the pressure and you know the depth. The density is determined by the salinity of the water. Note that rarely do you know the exact salinity of the water you are diving in so even depth measurements will be slightly off but as all the tissue calculations are based on pressure it is of little consequence.

Air pressure is a whole 'nother can of worms. Just like water pressure in bodies of water, air pressure is determined by the mass of the volume of air above. The higher above sea level, the the less air there is above. The complication is that air compresses so its density is not consistent. Additionally, weather conditions (high pressure systems, low pressure systems, etc.) also influence the pressure reading. How can a watch account for these other factors?

Here's a scenario I use to explain the problems:

You are sitting on your back veranda sipping a beer. It’s a beautiful day. The sun is out, it is warm and there is a gentle breeze.

You calibrate the altitude on your watch using GPS.

You finish your beer and fall asleep.

You awake 90 minutes later and the weather has turned. It is now cold and very windy. It has started to rain. A storm has rolled in.

The barometric pressure has dropped by 50mbar since you calibrated the altitude on your watch. A drop of 50mbar is equivalent to an increase in altitude of more than100m!

Your watch detects this change in barometric pressure. What does it do? Does it increase the altitude? If it does it will be incorrect (even though the pressure reading was correct) as your altitude has not changed.

Does it maintain the same altitude? Why would it do that? How does it know your altitude hasn't changed?

This is a relatively simple scenario. What does the watch do if you were out and about when the storm rolled in and your altitude was actually changing? How can the watch maintain accurate altitude?

Here is some interesting information:
How to Choose an Altimeter Watch | OutdoorGearLab

Also check out the altimeter accuracy in this review of 10 watches. These watches are all a lot newer than the Mk1 and even they have accuracy issues.
The Best Altimeter Watches of 2019

My Mk1 used to record inaccurate water temperature but since the latest firmware upgrade (8.00) it is very accurate - in fact as accurate as you can tell from the level of precision provided.

Here are some comparisons between my Citizen Hyper Aqualand (which is very accurate with temperature - checked with a lab thermometer), my Perdix AI and the Mk1:

Dive2019110209Bare_Island_TemperatureComparison.jpg

Dive2019110311The_Monument_TemperatureComparison.jpg

The main problem (as can be seen from the graphs above) is on a hot day the Mk1 (and the Perdix even more so) absorbs a lot of heat and it takes some time to dissipate).

If the Garmin were only $500. I would have a different attitude. But for $1000 bucks it makes for a very expensive non AI backup computer.
But it is not a just a dive computer. You are getting a $500 sports/fitness watch AND a dive computer. The dive computer part is only an extra $500.

Also consider that a non-AI Perdix is around $850 so you are only paying around $150 for all the extra features that the Mk1 has.

Add to that the fact that the Mk1 does Nitrox, Trimix, up to 6 gases per dive and even works with CCR. It is also a smart watch.

Certainly, if someone is just looking for a basic dive computer and is not interested in the fitness aspects, Trimix, etc. it is very expensive. But if you were already in the market for for a fitness watch, it is only a small amount more. If they add AI to a later model (and the extra price isn't too much) it will be an awesome device.

One thing I find interesting is the Descent seems to be primarily a Fenix 5x living inside a Fenix 3 body. So, it seems Garmin had to do a minimum of development to come up with the Descent Mk1. Diving software, maybe a new pressure sensor, and maybe improved seals. To include an RF receiver for AI in the rumored Mk2 I imagine a new platform might need to be developed. I wonder if Garmin will be willing to devote the needed resources on a niche product.

I asked for you this am. Neither Mkll Nor AI on MKl are currently on the development schedule. They are still evaluating response to MK1.

ICYMI, the response from Garmin at DEMA re MKII and AI. Quite disappointing.

More concerning is the "still evaluating" aspect. It's been two years with a lot of feedback, and it sounds like Garmin is fence-sitting on continuing.

DEMA Show 2019 in Orlando

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom