Any comments on Garmin Descent MK1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a great all around fitness/smart watch and mine stays on my wrist 24/7. I like that it geotags your entry and exit! However, I always dive with my Teric for deco and wireless AI. If I am on CCR, I dive with another two Petrels in addition to the Descent and Teric.

Pete,

Do you mean that as soon as you ascend to the surface, it will automatically take your GPS coordinates? I have no idea what other dive computers do in this regard, but this is a must feature. As I dive Shearwater, I will buy a dive computer just for this feature.

Pete,

Do you mean that as soon as you ascend to the surface, it will automatically take your GPS coordinates? I have no idea what other dive computers do in this regard, but this is a must feature. As I dive Shearwater, I will buy a dive computer just for this feature.
It does it on descent and on ascent. I would post a pic but this stinking Chromebook won't let me copy and paste. How disappointing. NEVER BUY A CHROME BOOK!!!

It does it on descent and on ascent.

Good to know. That DC or something similar is a future purchase.

It does it on descent and on ascent. I would post a pic but this stinking Chromebook won't let me copy and paste. How disappointing. NEVER BUY A CHROME BOOK!!!

Here's a picture from my Sandy's Plateau dive in Curaçao, which you can see in Garmin Connect here.

hcO8TP6.png

It does take a minute or so on the surface at both ends to get a good signal.

Is Garmin at all active in updating the computers on-board software for bugs or features? One of the best things about Shearwater devices is that the company is very committed to improving their products over time. The norm for most Dive Computer vendors is to ship and forget.

I am very tempted to buy a Garmin or Teric as a second computer. The software & support may be the deciding factor for me.

It does it on descent and on ascent.
How does it do that on descent? Does it use the last GPS position it had before it can't hear the satellite any more?

Is Garmin at all active in updating the computers on-board software for bugs or features? One of the best things about Shearwater devices is that the company is very committed to improving their products over time. The norm for most Dive Computer vendors is to ship and forget.

I am very tempted to buy a Garmin or Teric as a second computer. The software & support may be the deciding factor for me.

Seems like they fix bugs on the fēnix 5 GPS watches first, then push them in batches to the Descent. I've had two major software updates since I bought mine last December, and one of those introduced CCR support.

How does it do that on descent? Does it use the last GPS position it had before it can't hear the satellite any more?

Yep, and it informs you when it has a GPS lock so you can dunk in.

If this thing had AI I would be getting one for sure. I like that software and the extra features such as the fitness aspect.

Wonder why Garmin didn't add AI

Reactions: CZS
If this thing had AI I would be getting one for sure. I like that software and the extra features such as the fitness aspect.

Wonder why Garmin didn't add AI
Would have probably required the inclusion of a lot of extra technology vs a very minor sensor change/o ring change to the fenix 5 and everything else being software.

Would have probably required the inclusion of a lot of extra technology vs a very minor sensor change/o ring change to the fenix 5 and everything else being software.

It has Bluetooth, they could have probably used that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom