Any climbers here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a gadget and thinking someone here must be into climbing and can help me find what I need....

What I want is an easy way to adjust line length. The line in question is the tow cord on a scooter. It attaches to each handle and then has a boltsnap in the middle of the loop to clip it to your crotch d-ring. Line is approx 1/4" diameter.

The handle attachment is generally done by simply using bowline knots and the length is adjusted by wrapping the cord around the handle. I want a better way.

Looking for a thing that will allow me to form a loop and for that loop to be "slideable" by pulling out on the bitter end (thereby changing overall "loop" length of the entire cord). Must be strong, secure, and corrosion resistant.

Does such a thing exist?

WW

Most climbing rope is 9-11mm. You're looking at about 6.25mm. You might have difficulting finding climbing gear that will lock that small of a diameter tightly.

You basically want a loop that you can pull tighter? By only pulling on the bitter end? (not having to push any buttons or pull any levers, etc?)

I haven't had a good look at a soloist but that might work. I'll check it out.

Matt

Prussic knot…

You could try to set it up with your normal attachment (bowline) left slack as a secondary safety decreasing any chance of coming unattached…

Then set up a prussic knot slider on the standing end of the line used for the bowline. You could manipulate the prussic up and down as needed effectively changing the length adjustment…

http://www.utas.edu.au/docs/climbing_club/Tuwwrc/knots/prussic.html

Jeff

sillygrendel once bubbled...
Most climbing rope is 9-11mm. You're looking at about 6.25mm. You might have difficulting finding climbing gear that will lock that small of a diameter tightly.

You basically want a loop that you can pull tighter? By only pulling on the bitter end? (not having to push any buttons or pull any levers, etc?)

I haven't had a good look at a soloist but that might work. I'll check it out.

Matt

Its not the size of the loop I want to change, its the total length of the cord. I know I'm not explaining this well.

Pushing a button would be ok, just trying to get something more secure that wrapping the cord around a handle to change the length.

WW

thought about that to sillygrendel...

But the spring mechanism (spring steel) in an ascender or soloist would deteriorate pretty rapidly if ever exposed to salt water…

Jeff

rmediver2002 once bubbled...
Prussic knot…

You could try to set it up with your normal attachment (bowline) left slack as a secondary safety decreasing any chance of coming unattached…

Then set up a prussic knot slider on the standing end of the line used for the bowline. You could manipulate the prussic up and down as needed effectively changing the length adjustment…

Jeff

I don't get this. will have to think on it....

other end of prussic would be attached to your harness as the main load bearing cordage for the tow...

I might not be explaining it very well...

Jeff

my inspiration for this whole idea is the little plastic guys that are found on drawstring mesh bags, push the button and slide the thing down to close the bag. I'd need a bit larger line size capacity and more strength, was hoping the climbing world might have something similar...

WW

rmediver2002 once bubbled...
Prussic knot…

This is exactly the system I use - if IE hadn't just crashed while I was typing a long description....

Tie one end of the cord to one handle. Run the other end of the cordcthrough a ring on the other handle and form a prussik knot around the standing rope. Attach tow cord to self using a clip large enough to pass both cords and knot through the eye.

Easy - nothing to rust. Shown to me by a Florida cave diver and caver.

Duncan

PS. I saw him tow a scooter into Manatee springs. Drop the one he was using and switch to the other in a trice.

Could look at electrical supply house, the wedge system used to take the strain while hangin elevated wire may work... Harder to disconnect though...

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom