Any big difference between Jupiter and West Palm Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
All -

Getting down to South Florida for some diving next week. I usually dive the Keys, and I love them, but would like to try some deeper dive sites (still recreational limits) this trip. I'd also love to see some bigger fish (i.e. sharks).

My question: is there any real difference between Jupiter and West Palm as far as these deeper/more off shore sites? My base next week will be Dade County so neither will be too, too far but if West Palm is just the same as Jupiter, I'd just rather go there. Looking for deeper sites, would love to see some sharks.

Jupiter is the spot if your looking for sharks. A lot of the boats out of West Palm will head north up to Juno ledge and Shark Canyon though so don't rule out the West Palm boats, you'll just need to ask if they will go up towards Jupiter. But your safer bet would be to just dive with the Jupiter dive ops, because if you dive West Palm and end up going south to the reefs the shark sightings are rare. The depths in Jupiter are 60 to 90 feet. The reefs in Palm Beach are usually in the 45 to 65 foot range.

+1 on Jupiter. Jupiter diving is my favorite place. Even more than the Keys. Deeper sites so nitrox is important as 70-90 feet is typical. All dives are drift dives.
Huge Goliath Groupers are common...we're talking 500-800 pounds (awesome). Sharks....lots of sharks; nurse sharks, reef sharks, tigers, bulls and yes...hammerheads. Occasionally a whale shark. And then there are turtles. Last week on one dive we had 7 turtles on one dive.
Check out Capt. Sl8r and the Kyalami (www.jupiterscubadiving.com). That is my favorite operator. High level of service and runs to some great dive sites.

If you're going to Palm Beach County I highly recommend going south out of Boynton inlet. Short boat ride from docks in Boynton, great reef, lots of fish including Goliath grouper near wreck (don't remember name). It will generally be drift diving like most S FL diving.

All -

Getting down to South Florida for some diving next week. I usually dive the Keys, and I love them, but would like to try some deeper dive sites (still recreational limits) this trip. I'd also love to see some bigger fish (i.e. sharks).

My question: is there any real difference between Jupiter and West Palm as far as these deeper/more off shore sites? My base next week will be Dade County so neither will be too, too far but if West Palm is just the same as Jupiter, I'd just rather go there. Looking for deeper sites, would love to see some sharks.

I would suggest Jupiter to see some big stuff. If you are looking for some deeper wrecks there is a Wed night dive in Miami that is usually a 90 foot profile on RJs.

Jupiter is great: I make 50-70 dives there each year. Lots of big stuff like turtles, goliath grouper, big green moray eels and sharks on most dives. Tunnels is a site known for reef shark encounters: request the site if you dive Jupiter. I tend to dive with Jupiter Dive Center or off a friend's boat.

With that said, I like WPB too. One of the most beautiful reefs in the area is Breakers: It's a bit shallower at 60 feet and I see plenty of turtles on that site but don't tend to see sharks or Goliath Grouper very often. Like Jupiter, WPB has some deeper reefs too (90+ feet).

Get nitrox certified if you're not: you'll have short dives on air at most of the sites in both Jupiter and WPB. Both areas are drift dives and almost all the dive boats put a DM in the water who will man the dive flag/ball.

Last edited:
Those of us who frequently get to dive in SE FL are very lucky. My local home is only 3 miles from Boynton Beach Harbor Marina. Boynton Beach has gorgeous, colorful reefs with an incredible number of reef fish of all kinds. The west facing sites are about 60 feet deep whereas the east facing sites are more like 70-95 feet. Sharks are relatively uncommon (except for my recent visit in May) though some deeper sites have more frequent sitings like the site called 95. The Castor is a deeper wreck with a year round population of Goliath Grouper that is also an aggregation site in August/September. There is an article in July Scuba Diving regarding the Goliath Grouper aggregation on the Castor.

I'm only 30 miles from Jupiter and find the diving very complimentary to that in Boynton Beach. As mentioned, the sites are generally deeper and the opportunity to see sharks routinely is considerably greater. I frequently do the 3 dive trip with JDC on Friday afternoons as it limits the number of divers, has more experienced clientele and is often not full as it is during the work week.

And, of course, I'm only 15 miles from the BHB......

I am very fortunate to have ready access to such fantastic diving, I'm sure many others feel the same.

I think that once you dive the Palm Beach sites you'll make this your favorite spot. You are definitely more likely to see sharks diving in Jupiter (especially if you dive with Emerald Charters :D). JDC and Narcosis will both usually have Spearos diving so, if they are having any luck, they will bring in some sharks too. Since I don't get down there as often as I'd like, I like to dive the Breakers and reefs that run a little shallower to extend my bottom time as long as possible. Nitrox is kind of a must so that you aren't ending your dives early due to nitrogen loading as you'll be diving 65-70 ft at least in most locations.

As noted above, you might want to do a BHB dive.... it is a pretty awesome shore dive where you can see octupus, sea horses and other really interesting stuff.

Guys -

Thanks for all the responses (and sorry for acknowledging so late!). Jupiter it is. I had a feeling that's what everyone would suggest but was just making sure. On the plane now to Miami, should have 2 dives in this time tomorrow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom