Question Any alternatives to the LifeLine Radio?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rg422

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a two way marine radio, preferably with GPS and DSC that is designed to be/can easily be dove with. I do a lot of beach dives in southern California where we're kicking more than a 1/4 mile out to sea, would be nice to have some communication or means of rescue... I'm considering just getting a submergible handheld marine radio and sticking it in a cannister to carry.

I carry the successor to the Nautilus radio, the Nautilus GPS. It sends out an emergency signal with your location via the VHF-based Automatic Identification System.

Given the amount of commercial marine traffic in Southern California, i am confident that an AIS distress signal will be noticed and a local first responder (most likely lifeguards if not Coast Guard) will be dispatched to investigate. I hope i never have to test my supposition but it's my last line of defense.

As an alternative, handheld VHF radios are pretty small nowadays and an old pistol grip light can be used as a dive canister.

As an alternative, handheld VHF radios are pretty small nowadays and an old pistol grip light can be used as a dive canister.
For me the voice communication abilities are required, that’s a good idea, i have a couple of those laying around

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom