Any advice please? :) New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the equalization issue, a little bit of congestion (doesn't even have to be a cold) can make it hard for some people to equalize. Also, if you get to the point where you are feeling discomfort, definitely stop and ascend a foot or two. It can often be more difficult to equalize with additional pressure on your ears. If you're feeling discomfort and trying to equalize while holding your (discomfort) depth, it can often be a fruitless exercise. Ascend a couple of feet, take your time, and never try to push it. If you're having trouble, something else that helps some people is to wiggle your jaw around (basically open your mouth as much as you can without spitting out your reg) and lean your head from side to side while you are equalizing. This can sometimes loosen up the eustachian tube enough to allow air to move through and equalize.

On the equalization issue, a little bit of congestion (doesn't even have to be a cold) can make it hard for some people to equalize. Also, if you get to the point where you are feeling discomfort, definitely stop and ascend a foot or two. It can often be more difficult to equalize with additional pressure on your ears. If you're feeling discomfort and trying to equalize while holding your (discomfort) depth, it can often be a fruitless exercise. Ascend a couple of feet, take your time, and never try to push it. If you're having trouble, something else that helps some people is to wiggle your jaw around (basically open your mouth as much as you can without spitting out your reg) and lean your head from side to side while you are equalizing. This can sometimes loosen up the eustachian tube enough to allow air to move through and equalize.
Hi Ryan,

Thank you so much for that. I got so much discomfort after that I went to the doctors. She looked in both of them and couldn't really see anything (which is good!). However, she said she thinks I've pulled something in my ear to close and there's probably a bit of mucus trapped in there (I've been having sore throats recently). She also explained there's nothing they can do as it will solve itself. Now my other ear is playing up and I've got a cold, so no diving :( but I'm glad it's not an infection or I'm going deaf etc I really had no idea even a slight bit of congestion can have such an effect! Lesson learned :)

Thanks again
Amy :)

Back
Top Bottom