Any advice please? :) New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akakinder

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a new diver, with my only experience being pool sessions and one (awesome) aquarium dive for my birthday. I recently signed up for my open water course and started on it last week. I am seeking advice if possible on the following... After every dive I've done, I get a tight chestedness feeling and slight breathlessness. I do have mild controlled astmha but was signed off by a HSE dive doctor for this. I've been checked over by numerous doctor's, had a blood test, ecg, my lungs listened to etc and all came back clear/normal. So it's thought to be down to anxiety. I have noticed that when underwater, I am so aware of my breathing that I usually try to control it so much and it ends up all over the place. I then get a little shaky and finally nauseous, but nothing major. The thought of getting my breathing wrong also gives me a less intense version of the above. It's stupid I worry about getting things perfect/ not messing up or that I really don't want to get DCI or something nasty. I realise I shouldn't be so anxious or worrying about it all, because I really do enjoy the actual feeling of diving when I'm calm and have been told I'm good. What I would like to know please is what I can do to help improve this situation? Any breathing exercises at home, tips or personal experiences anyone might be able to pass along please? :) I told my dive centre and the master instructor has told me he's really glad I told him and that he will go over just breathing with me soon. That I should also bring a wetsuit for the pool sessions and finally, to go into a group at a similar pace and level.
So I'll now be in a different group to who I was with.

Thank you so much everyone for your time. I think this community is really awesome :) I do understand it's embarrassing to have this problem but I appreciate any help you may have

Amy :)

I was very lucky. When growing up on a lake in summers we spent a lot of time swimming and snorkeling, my older brother and his friends in their rough housing antics would sometimes hold my head underwater, throw me off the float and engage in other horse play. While I didn't like it at the time, it had an effect of desensitizing me to some of the natural fears that others experience when starting scuba diving.

Getting more experience will probably help greatly.

I have noticed that when underwater, I am so aware of my breathing that I usually try to control it so much and it ends up all over the place. I then get a little shaky and finally nauseous, but nothing major.

Being able to control your breathing is a good thing, if you know what to do.

I told my dive centre and the master instructor has told me he's really glad I told him and that he will go over just breathing with me soon.

This may very well be the answer to guide you on how to berathe properly underwater.

Let us know how it comes out.

Bob

Agreed, go over with the dive centre and master instructor....and please report back your experience. IMHO, it could be that the amazing sensations of diving....things that we do not experience on land...can be a bit overwhelming at times...and more experience will help you get used to it :) the three things that are always under development for me are: air consumption rate [including controlling your breathing at a relaxed pace], buoyancy control, and practice/practice/practice :)

It sounds as if you're getting into a cycle of judging yourself then judging yourself for judging yourself. You might try a little mindfulness - basically, awareness of breathing and the present moment, with curiosity instead of judgement.

Best regards,
DDM

Thank you. I saw someone yesterday after I posted this and realise what I'm mentally doing - trying to be a perfectionist etc. I now look forward to trying a different approach next week and will let everyone know how I get on.
Thanks for taking the time to give me your advice :)

You’ve done the right thing by ruling out any medical issues.
Now, here’s the “secret” breathing technique used by experienced divers - inhale, exhale, repeat. Of course I’m being a little silly here, but seriously, just relax and breathe at the rate that is comfortable for you. As a new diver, worrying too much about perfecting a technique or keeping your consumption rate low can actually be counter-productive. Concentrate now on developing your skills and just breathe!

You’ve done the right thing by ruling out any medical issues.
Now, here’s the “secret” breathing technique used by experienced divers - inhale, exhale, repeat. Of course I’m being a little silly here, but seriously, just relax and breathe at the rate that is comfortable for you. As a new diver, worrying too much about perfecting a technique or keeping your consumption rate low can actually be counter-productive. Concentrate now on developing your skills and just breathe!

Oh for sure, I wasn't going to carry on until I knew it was safe to do so. I had most of the tests done and the dive doctor wasn't worried at all, so I'm chuffed that I can carry on. I've definitely learned the hard way not to be a perfectionist and to just let go and enjoy myself. I realise I don't need to be so worried. It's probable that I'll still get the same feeling after my next dive/session, but I hope that in time I'll gain more insight and ultimately lose the feeling. Thanks for your not so silly advice :wink:

I saw someone yesterday after I posted this and realise what I'm mentally doing - trying to be a perfectionist etc.
Well, stop doing that. Try to be as good as you can be, but don't beat yourself up when - not if - you fail somewhat at that. I mess up occasionally, but I try to be in the moment, enjoying what I can enjoy and to take every one of my mess-ups as a valuable learning experience.

I'm not particularly good at the last point, though...

Back
Top Bottom