Any advice please? :) New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should probably have mentioned that I've been doing those things on and off since I was a kid, so... they work great, after a couple of decades, especially if one of those decades is your formative years.

On the flip side, tai-chi/chi-gong is good for anxiety as well, and swimming is just about the best workout out there, especially for a diver. Just don't expect miracles right away.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Anything is worth a try!
Amy :)

IMG_20190331_125247.jpg
Going over breathing again :) before my next session!

So, just a thought, and I’m not being critical, but....maybe going over how to breathe is kinda over analyzing, which might be the sort of thing that’s contributing to your original issue...relax, breathe in, breathe out, repeat, try not to put to much thought into it!
Hope your session goes well!

Dive safe!

So, just a thought, and I’m not being critical, but....maybe going over how to breathe is kinda over analyzing, which might be the sort of thing that’s contributing to your original issue...relax, breathe in, breathe out, repeat, try not to put to much thought into it!
Hope your session goes well!

Dive safe!
I thought this too but I was told to go over it by the instructor before the session.

Hi everybody :) the long awaited update... Haha. So I got there early, and the new instructor went over breathing and made me feel like it was completely normal to need to adjust etc. We then went into the pool with 2 other students and he was my buddy. He watched me closely and we all went for a swim. He noticed my buoyancy and bubble rate were perfect. When it came to the skills, I noticed myself thinking about my breathing and if it was right etc then I started shaking. I surfaced, spoke to him and he gave me the option to stop or continue. I chose continue and then we swam again and all was fine. So it's definitely a nerves thing when it comes to the skills. I believe over time I'll get better at that :) but after the dive, there wasn't much tightness and we all went to a bar after so I made sure I was distracted. There he asked how I was feeling and any questions. He completely reassured me and changed everything. He said there was no rush, that we'll go at my pace and ultimately my self awareness is really good. How I will be a good diver because I care and don't risk anything and that he thinks I'll pass! I then didn't have it at all :) ironically - the only problem was not being able to equalise, but nothing I can't work on/keep practicing. It's just about building the confidence and not worrying about all the medical stuff so much. But I am so chuffed to have the most kind and patient instructor who goes the extra mile :) thanks everyone again for giving me confidence this was something I could overcome!

Have you ever done any meditative breathing and/or yoga?

First, I'm super happy to hear that things went much better this time. Also, that's great news about your instructor. It sounds like you found a really good one for you, and that's important! On the nervous/confidence issue, that really does come with just doing it and practicing. I've been helping to mentor my buddy as she's worked her way through tech training. She is not a natural water person (grew up in the desert), so she has been really nervous throughout the past few years of progressing her training into more technical dives. There were a couple of skills that made her extra nervous but her patient instructor helped her through it. On our last trip, she crushed everything and I was super proud to see that the "nervous girl" I knew was gone and in her place was a really competent diver. So it will come, just do things on your own schedule and have fun!

Hello again everyone :)

I'm so glad that my breathing has stopped being an issue now. To know it's not actually something physical is relieving to say the least!

I now though seem to be having a few issues with equalising :( I'm not sure why? On the session, I was having a lot of discomfort (not pain) even as I went under at the shallow end. Like a bunch of water was filling and stuck in my ears. So I did the usual pinch nose, breathe out - but this didn't work. I tried to do the same while swallowing and also didn't work. Once again, I don't know if I'm overthinking this because I really don't want to be deaf, or if there's an actual problem. I brought my own mask and snorkel and still had issues just with the snorkel. Surfacing to have a tight sensation in the middle of my ears with a slight pain in one of them. Any advice please? All is greatly appreciated as usual!

Back
Top Bottom