• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Any advice please? :) New Diver

Discussion in 'Diving Medicine' started by akakinder, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Ghost Diver #

Ghost Diver # ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    It will come!! Improving your breathing seems to only come with dive experience! The more you dive, the more comfortable you get with your environment, your skills, your equipment and breathing becomes second nature underwater. I went though the same thing.....lots of anxiety before a dive, lots of analyzing my air consumption, skip breathing, the whole nine yards. After some time and a bunch of just diving (within my limits) all that stuff sorted itself out.
    Keep diving and dive safe!

IncreaseMyT and akakinder like this.
  2. Diver0001

Diver0001 Instructor, Scuba

To be clear, I am not a doctor but I am a (retired) diving instructor.

A feeling of being short of breath is not uncommon among new divers, particularly when stress is involved. My guess is that being specifically instructed on how to relax and breathe normally may help it clear up. If you were my student and you told me this, then I would slow things down and focus on going slow, "floating" (neutral buoyancy) and breathing over the next couple of sessions. It may ultimately mean that you spend more time getting your OW certification, but it will be time well spent.

I'm curious how your instructor approaches this. Please keep us apprised of your progression.

R..

3. akakinder

akakinder Angel Fish

For sure! I totally agree. It's been a conditioned part of me, really - but I'm up for the challenge of breaking that! I'm actually a proficient martial artist of 13 years first and foremost, and I'm always really accepting of failure/messing up in class, so I'm going to try specifically transposing this to diving. You sound like a really awesome diver :) thank you for taking the time out to give me your advice.

Amy :)

Storker likes this.
  4. Storker

Storker Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I recently took a somewhat advanced scuba class. The instructor was pretty clear that we should never go diving just to train. Because in the long run, that plainly sucks, and diving is supposed to be fun. So what we were advised to do was to go diving for fun, to have fun, but to look for opportunities to insert a bit of training whenever that was appropriate.

It's probably the best piece of advice I've gotten in all the different types of training I've received. Because if it isn't fun, your heart won't be in it.

chillyinCanada and akakinder like this.
  5. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    My buddy and I used to do skills training diving all the time when tec diving. Half of the fun was doing the drills, to us. Now that I am getting back in the water...we are doing them again. About once a month we would purely do our skills dives...and on every dive we do our buddy/bubble checks and practice something...gas switches, staging a bottle, out of air situation, etc. That is fun to us :)

6. akakinder

akakinder Angel Fish

Y
    Again, I totally agree. I think this applies to anything. I definitely do enjoy diving. I managed to achieve neutral buoyancy on my first go and was told by the instructor it's one of the hardest skills. So I know I enjoy it and am not useless. When I trust myself - I love the feeling. There's nothing like it. I'll just keep that mindset into the pool with me next time.

Amy :)

Saniflush and RyanT like this.
  7. akakinder

akakinder Angel Fish

Screenshot_20190328_183049_com.google.android.gm.jpg
    Just thought I'd share this too. I'd asked DAN what they thought a while back and this is what they had to say. Seems/sounds pretty conclusive and reassuring to me. I'm really hoping I can kick this nausea feeling during pool dives and ultimately the tight chestedness after. Feeling positive with such a supportive instructor on my side, along with everyone here. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Andrew Dawson likes this.
  8. IncreaseMyT

IncreaseMyT Banned

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I thought I was relaxed, but then my breathing got better. I assume it will get even better with more experience. The best thing I ever did was stop worrying about it.

akakinder likes this.
  9. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

OK, now that you have enough good advice about anxiety, here's the exercises I found useful for the actual breathing:

- Uddiyana bandha - Wikipedia -- look it up on youtube, there's any number of freedivers showing it.

- Qigong - Wikipedia -- if you're lucky to find a Tai-Chi class that does Chi-gong and standing meditation for warm-up, sign up.

- Swimming.

chillyinCanada and akakinder like this.
  10. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

I should probably have mentioned that I've been doing those things on and off since I was a kid, so... they work great, after a couple of decades, especially if one of those decades is your formative years.

On the flip side, tai-chi/chi-gong is good for anxiety as well, and swimming is just about the best workout out there, especially for a diver. Just don't expect miracles right away.

akakinder likes this.