Any advice on Iberostar Cozumel and the Dressler dive operation there at the hotel???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralfreak

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip between july and august 2009... I found the Iberostar cazumel which offers alot for family style travel destination as I will be traveling with my todlers and wife. I am the only diver so I would also love to hear anyones expierience with dresser dive operator at the hotels site... I appreciate any and all feedback good, bad and the ugly. thanks so much...

any advice on Iberostar cazumel and the dresser dive operation there at the hotel???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm planning a trip between july and august 2009... I found the Iberostar cazumel which offers alot for family style travel destination as I will be traveling with my todlers and wife. I am the only diver so I would also love to hear anyones expierience with dresser dive operator at the hotels site... I appreciate any and all feedback good, bad and the ugly. thanks so much...

threads merged...

Most other operations will pick you up at the Iberostar pier. Dressel has big boats with many divers of all levels of experience. I used Dive with Martin on my last stay there (April 2008) and I was quite happy with them. Their boats are smaller and the prices are better. Dressel also has a fixed schedule of sites they visit on certain days, where other operators are more flexible. Here are some useful threads:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/259553-dressel-divers.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/242160-iberostar-proximity-dive-site-planning-concern.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/238116-warning-multiple-people-sick-iberostar.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/235279-iberostar-dressel-june-28-a.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/231823-cozumel-dive-report-4-20-4-27-a.html

Enjoy Coz!

I stayed at the Iberostar last May and I thought it was great. Food and drinks were great, especially the Mexican food. Contrary to other reports, we didn't get sick at all. The only negative is that the water is quite rocky (the beach is nice) so it might not be the best place for little kids who like to play in the water. I didn't dive with Dressel but spoke with some people who did, their prices are a lot higher than can be found else where.

If you looking for a great beach for the family in Coz at an AI, the Allegro is the best I've found. The beach at IB* is quite rocky but looks great from aerial shots. Fiesta Americana doesn't have a beach walk-in per se but man-made, elevated beach/sand but I've found the pools at Fiesta Americana to be great for little ones.

You will also find some limitation to diving sites north of IB* if diving with off site operators. If diving with Dressel on their fixed schedule, you'll come back to the resort for SI. Also IIRC, Dressel now offers free Nx but IMHO, that does little to make them a desirable operator.
FWIW, I love the grounds and layout of IB* but it's location as the southern most resort on the island will make trips to town either unlikely and very expensive via taxi.

Been to Iberostar twice, food and facilities I thought were very good. Dove with Dressler once , not impressed, was picked up by Dive with Martin for most diving and liked them a lot.Only real complaint is that it is so far from town.

Cheryl and I were at Iberostar in Novermber 2008 and dove with Dressel the whole week. We had a great dive week. Dressel was very good and catered to our needs. We pre paid for our dives and got our dives cheaper than most other operators. After we dove with them a day or two they knew your abilities and let everyone dive there computers. I was taking a lot of pictures and vidieo and at time Cheryl and I were the first up but we waited for everyone else. Maybe we were there at low season but we never went with more than 10 in a group. Iberostar is on the south end of the island so getting to the good spots doesn't take long. This was our 3rd time staying at Iberostar and we will probably be back when we spend a week. Cheryl and I are on our way back to Coz for Carnival in 2 weeks diving with a couple of other operator but Iberostar and Dressel has never disappointed us. Look at Dressel's website and plan your dives and prepay. it will be well worth it.

Have fun and dive safe

any advice on Iberostar cazumel and the dresser dive operation there at the hotel???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's too much fun stuff and great food in town to stay way down at the Iberostar IMO. I have no comment on Dressel Divers because I always "Dive With Martin".

I was at Iberostar Feb 8-15 this year. I went with my wife, mother and father. This first portion of my trip, I was doing a cavern cert course with an independent trainer on cozumel (german yanez). For the remainder of my trip, I was diving with Dressel divers. Dives 1&2 with them, i was following along my Dad's #3 and 4 open water dives. (Decided to get open water at last minute). Everything went well, I followed along and made buddy with the guy who was making a video of the dives. The next dive day we all decided to do a combination snorkel/dive trip, where the 4 of us would snorkel on the 1st reef and the 2nd reef my father and I would dive. The snorkel guide was not communicative with the group throughout the duration and seemed to just want to get to the end of the reef. He was neither an instructor or a divemaster. (Columbia Shallows). On the second reef, my father and I were placed with an instructor doing open water cert dives. So, at the beginning of the dive, we drop down and have to circle around as the Instructor goes over the open water skills with the new students. This is what bothered me. I am paying a lot of money and have to waste 10 minutes or so of MY dive to watch the open water skills. Not what I signed up for. At this point I had spent all of my dives either being in training (cavern) or going along with my dad's open water training dives. All I wanted to do at this time was look at the fish and drift along the reef. If I were to stay at Iberostar Cozumel again, (I would have no issues with going back), I would do more research about dive ops and probably go with another op. Also, the price I felt was fairly steep.

Back
Top Bottom