Any additional benefit to GUE training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear, cave training covers a lot of the same things, kicks (frog, mod frog, mod flutter, helicopter), buddy awareness, trim, buoyancy, streamlining, light comms plus a whole lot more (reel running, tie-offs and wraps, touch contact, lights out air shares with touch contact, lost line in pitch black, and so on). I'm sure there are a few topics covered in the DIR-f class that are not covered in a cave class as well (shooting bags and such).

That said, I saw plenty off hand swimmers in the caves this past weekend. I saw rebreather divers in the caves who were swimming with their hands while vertical. These guys couldn't handle the task loading of running a reel so they would lay their reel on the ground and pull of some line, make a wrap, pick up their reel, and move forward. I got a chuckle.

I think a lot of it comes down to the individual, but to be honest, if they didn't care to learn it in cave class, I doubt they'd put forth the effort in a DIR-f class. And of course, YMMV. :wink:

I will add this, my instructor said he had a few DIR-f grads take his cave class and he said trim and kick wise, they were very squared away.

H2Andy... you can chime in anytime now...

I do remember DRE, we talked about Fundies once when I was considering it, he was full cave trained, took Fundies which made him rethink all his past training and diving, so much so to revert back to the "Fundies level" (if there is such a thing) and he said he was going to persue GUE training and only dive at the level he was certed through GUE. Hopefully he will come in here and correct me.

Anyone who thinks there's no benefit whatsoever to taking more training has their head in their a... in the sand.

OneBrightGator:
Anyone who thinks there's no benefit whatsoever to taking more training has their head in their a... in the sand.

Oh, so that was my a55 I poked my head into? I thought it was a cave!

I agree that training is important but to say that every diver that takes up cave class, also needs to take a GUE class is BS, flat out. I usually agree with your comments but I'm going to have to stand on my own feet this time I see.

Hmmm..maybe I didn't understand the question right. Snowbear - do you mean cave trained divers getting additional benefits from DIR-F or Cave 1 (or above) ?
(not that I'm qualified to answer it whatever it was....just curious)

Kim:
Hmmm..maybe I didn't understand the question right. Snowbear - do you mean cave trained divers getting additional benefits from DIR-F or Cave 1 (or above) ?
(not that I'm qualified to answer it whatever it was....just curious)
I keep reading in other threads about how the same skills and training can be obtained from cave training (any non-GUE agency) as from GUE DIRf training. So I'm wondering if folks who are already cave divers really don't have anything to learn from GUE.

Hmmm. Could a full cave diver get any benefit from a DIR-f class...

I am a full cave diver with a TDI and NACD card in my pocket. I have not taken any GUE classes. Could I benefit from a class, probably yes. As I understand it most if not all of the in water tasks I have already gotten through either my cave training or my deco class. Things like kicks, shooting a bag, bouyancy and trim issues have already been covered. If I took a fundies class I would get a different set of eyes looking at me? Yes, and that might point out some things I had not been aware of.

I would expect that improvements would be minor, but I don't rule out the possibility of actually learning somthing new.

I have been driving a car since the mid 1970's, could I learn somthing from taking drivers ed. again. Yep, I probably would. In both cases it might serve to correct some bad habits.

The big question is not would I learn somthing, but rather would it be worth the money? Only taking the class and looking back would provide any answers.

Mark Vlahos

Ive always heard that if your Intro cert DIR-F wont do much for you ,but thats not what H2Andy says!

I do know this: my buddy for apprentice cave class was told by our instructor (after they passed) that they should probably take DIR-F. The instructor is not affiliated w/ GUE or anything, I think that might tell you something.

I took DIR-F before cavern/intro and think it made the class easy.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom