Anti-malarials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cellcept?! The transplant program or the transplant drug? And why transplants...??

Could always use doxy as a profilactic, it works while allowing you to NOT smell like an old lady in a nursing home.
I took doxycycline for something during my first trip to Hawaii, then snorkeled without sunscreen. Ouch...!

I've learned to read more. :D

And once again, to clarify, there is no need to take anti-malarials in Cozumel because there is no malaria in Cozumel and anti-malarials do nothing against dengue. So suggestions of which anti-malarials to take really aren't helpful.
It's seldom that we agree, but sometimes we must.

Actually mossman, doxy also cures as well as can prevent dengue fever. As well as any studs you may pick up overseas.

It's cheap, effective and has few side effects. Just wear plenty of sunscreen.
I've never heard of using it to prevent Dengue. Got reputable sources for that claim...??

Cellcept?! The transplant program or the transplant drug? And why transplants...??

Could always use doxy as a profilactic, it works while allowing you to NOT smell like an old lady in a nursing home.
I took doxycycline for something during my first trip to Hawaii, then snorkeled without sunscreen. Ouch...!

I've learned to read more. :D

And once again, to clarify, there is no need to take anti-malarials in Cozumel because there is no malaria in Cozumel and anti-malarials do nothing against dengue. So suggestions of which anti-malarials to take really aren't helpful.
It's seldom that we agree, but sometimes we must.

Actually mossman, doxy also cures as well as can prevent dengue fever. As well as any studs you may pick up overseas.

It's cheap, effective and has few side effects. Just wear plenty of sunscreen.
I've never heard of using it to prevent Dengue. Got reputable sources for that claim...??

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24142271/

Google is your friend Don. It not only is effective in preventing infection but also in treating active cases.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24142271/

Google is your friend Don. It not only is effective in preventing infection but also in treating active cases.
I know about Google. I wanted to see the source you put so much faith in. The key statement there seems to be "Collectively, these findings underline the need for further experimental and clinical studies on doxycycline, utilizing its anti-dengue and anti-inflammatory activities to attenuate the clinical symptoms of dengue virus infection."

...either way dengue is a relatively mild virus, no worse in my opinion than gastroenteritis.
So you've been infected and thought it was no big deal...??

That's amusing....
Don't people die sometimes...??

First dengue itself sucks, from what I have heard from those that had it. Sure some people get it with little or no symptoms, but there is wide ranges of symptoms which I would say refute the idea of it being described as relatively mild.

Second, some of it is hemorrhagic:

Dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) is characterized by a fever that lasts from 2 to 7 days, with general signs and symptoms consistent with dengue fever. When the fever declines, warning signs may develop. This marks the beginning of a 24 to 48 hour period when the smallest blood vessels (capillaries) become excessively permeable (“leaky&#8221:wink:, allowing the fluid component to escape from the blood vessels into the peritoneum (causing ascites) and pleural cavity (leading to pleural effusions). This may lead to failure of the circulatory system and shock, and possibly death without prompt, appropriate treatment. In addition, the patient with DHF has a low platelet count and hemorrhagic manifestations, tendency to bruise easily or have other types of skin hemorrhages, bleeding nose or gums, and possibly internal bleeding.

And that one does kill people.

---------- Post added January 31st, 2014 at 02:27 PM ----------

Oh and from the CDC:

There is no vaccine available against dengue, and there are no specific medications to treat a dengue infection. This makes prevention the most important step, and prevention means avoiding mosquito bites

---------- Post added January 31st, 2014 at 02:30 PM ----------

Yes, that may seem odd. The missus takes it for SLE, so I was checking it out during the last big dengue thing in Coz when she was going down. Getting dengue would probably be really bad for her. Turns out she might have protection from the cellcept.

A combination of mycophenolate and ribavirin has been found to stop infection by and replication of dengue virus in vitro. (That's wiki.)

I know about Google. I wanted to see the source you put so much faith in. The key statement there seems to be "Collectively, these findings underline the need for further experimental and clinical studies on doxycycline, utilizing its anti-dengue and anti-inflammatory activities to attenuate the clinical symptoms of dengue virus infection."

Perhaps one of the medically educated SB'ers will chime in, but from my layperson's understanding I have to agree with Don. As I understood the cited Abstract, the study didn't conclude that taking the same dosage of doxy as one would normally take for malaria prophylaxis is effective against dengue. Clinical studies might discover what dosage is effective. And it's only one study. I dunno. I've done a lot of traveling in the tropics and never been advised by a doctor that there's anything I can do to prevent dengue except repel/block the mozzies.

It's been used for years to treat active cases of dengue with good results. I would assume that the relatively recent theory that it doesn't work was made up by pharmaceutical companies to push more expensive drugs as a cure...either way dengue is a relatively mild virus, no worse in my opinion than gastroenteritis.

Let's be real clear here.

Dengue is not a relatively mild virus. It is a very serious infection, which without medical intervention can kill you, which would be the preferred course of treatment for those infected, particularly with type 2.

Posting something so wrong, naïve, and misinformed could lead someone to think that they can just wait it out, and they'll get better without going to the doctor.

Please don't post such statements on a public forum.

So, are mosquitoes active in Coz this time of year? Does the answer depend on how far from shore you get?

In other news, it's 71F in Lubbock at the moment, just 2 digits behind Coz. :cool: The bad news is it won't last. :sad:

Did you just get angry over a social media posting?

Let's be really clear here. Your opinions are yours, and mine are mine. If you want to blow off my opinion, that's fine. Do not however assume that you are going to silence my opinion. For what it's worth, gastroenteritis can kill you as well...and it has killed people...and it is clinically well known as a mild problem. For Christ's sake the flu kills how many people each year? Go scratch.

Hey, you all need to just stay in your cold weather locations with your parkas on and you'll be safe from mosquitoes.

There is no good solution because anti malaria pills have side effects that can be long term worse than the malaria you were trying to prevent, and Deet will just plain kill you over time, give you blue balls and make your hair fall out, or maybe it's cause cancer, it's one of those things anyways.

Dandy Don's body condom isn't so funny anymore now is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom