Anti-malarials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carl_F

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are headed to Coz after four trips to Roatan. On our Roatan trips we took anti-malarials. And we understood the incidence rates to be reasonably low on Roatan but better safe than sorry and we don't have adverse reactions to the meds.

What's the consensus for Coz? Anti-malarials a good idea there or waste of time?

Carl

Just a few more days and then ... Under the sea!

No need for malaria prevention on Coz, but insect repellent is still a good idea to avoid Dengue. Have a good trip. :pilot:

You know, I get the "better safe than sorry" concept and, as the poster child for sand flea attacks--as well as having had a botfly larvae extracted from my head--dengue fever has never been much of a concern for me in Coz, nor have there been many reports of it.

Please understand I'm not saying that, although the occasional mosquito couldn't carry the bug, reported instances are rare. Obviously, bug spray's never a bad idea--I always use it--but great concern about dengue on Coz is unwarranted.

And to make it really clear, anti-malarials do nothing against dengue so please don't take them "just in case". The only way to prevent dengue is to not get bitten. I recommend tequila. (No, that doesn't help you from getting bit, but I recommend it anyway :) )

Dengue is not at all rare in Coz, altho mosquitoes may be so this time of year.

Last edited:
Dengue is not at all rare in Coz, altho it mosquitoes may be so this time of year.

You're right, and from what I've heard from non-melodramatic sources, you do not want to get it. It takes the term "sicker than a dog" to entirely new level.

Malarial protection??? pppppfffffffttttttt.

I guess it depends on your definition of rare and great concern. I mean they don't call it bone break fever for nothing. Of course you get the hemorrhagic kind and it will add some additional thrills. Was it 2012 or 2011 that the general SS hospital ran out of beds and had people in the hallways because of the large number of dengue cases? Use mossie spray. Especially in restaurant and such. It won't likely be the big mossies out on the beach at sunset. The dengue mossie doesn't like wind. It will be the little feller hiding under your table or in your shower. Of course last year Florida even had a number of cases.

Last edited:
I would bring bug spray and forget the Malaria pills. I like the wipes with 50% deet. I've gotten Dengue twice, once in the hospital in Cozumel with the hemorrhagic version. Makes you a big believer in bug spray!

I would bring bug spray and forget the Malaria pills. I like the wipes with 50% deet. I've gotten Dengue twice, once in the hospital in Cozumel with the hemorrhagic version. Makes you a big believer in bug spray!

So, you would not say it is 'rare' I guess? Yikes....

...and it will at some additional thrills.
Grammar Police...!!

Not able to diagram. Missing words lost in Ethernet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom