Anti-malarials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. Where to start. Once again you have your opinions, and I have mine.
As far as where I get access to full text versions of that study, I get access through an online library which grants me access to a buttliad of different peer reviewed journals...perks of paying for higher education I guess.

Yes doxycycline causes photo sensitivity, and if you go back to my first post, I addressed that. A ton of people use doxycycline regularly for preventative reasons, and I have not seen any adverse reactions as far back as I can recall, except one of my buddies jumping out of a ranger grave in the middle of the night screaming "rocket attack". Every medication has side effects, and when the important information about a drug is disregarded, **** happens. In no way is this statement assuming that the people you saw die didn't follow the script, as I am well aware that some people are flat out allergic to different medications.

Yes I have had it twice, diagnosed at a military treatment facility, and yes it did suck. Quite honestly it sucked a hell of a lot less than most if you are describing here on the forum.

No, I am not retracting any previous statements, as dengue is still in my opinion a mild disease. The plague is a serious disease, dengue....not so much. You may as well stop trying to convince me otherwise, and maybe look at the bigger picture.

In other news, it's 71F in Lubbock at the moment, just 2 digits behind Coz. :cool: The bad news is it won't last. :sad:
That was 2 days ago. For Prairie Dog Day, we have 20 degrees and snow. DEET sales are down in Lubbock.

Do I need yeti prophylaxis in Cozumel?

Just as a point of clarity, are these the same thing:

1. yeti prophylaxis, and;

2. prophylaxis to prevent yeti attacks?

If there are not the same thing, my answer would be, depending on which question you are asking:

1. Keep dreaming that dream we all have about needing XXL, and;

2. Can't hurt.

Doc Stevens, you should have been a lawyer!

Don't most doctors need to almost be lawyers as well today?

Get 'em, Doc. By the way, you seem to be trying to ruin my additional dengue prophylactic. I would note, Doc, that you have no evidence that margarita consumption does not intoxicate the virus in the blood, rendering it sleepy and confused and thereby rendering it an easy catch for the white cells riding by in a prowl car. Hence I shall continue the self-medication until you prove it ineffective. And perhaps after that too.
+1 for margarita consumption. I'm bad about using DEET. After slathering myself with non-eco sunscreen everyday, it's hard to want to cover up my delicate skin with even more poison. As a result, I've been bitten by plenty of mosquitos in dengue-infested areas like Cozumel.

I would be willing to participate in a double-blind study where half the participants are fed real margaritas and the other half placebo margaritas, then exposed to mosquito bites, but only (a) if the margaritas are free, and (b) I can be assured a spot with the real margarita drinkers. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be double-blind, but this is Mexico so I'll simply bribe the scientist conducting the study.

You may as well stop trying to convince me otherwise, and maybe look at the bigger picture.

Actually I think we are looking at the bigger picture. I would say you are not. And I would defer to the doc, but your individual experience is not the big picture of the virus.
While you said:

dengue is still in my opinion a mild disease.

What I think is more correct is that: dengue is still in [-]my opinion[/-] your case was a mild disease

Just because the common stomach virus to you is equal to your experience with dengue, doesn't mean a virus that kills people and often needs medical care is equal to a stomach upset that typically can only occasionally cause serious dehydration requiring palliative care. I don't believe stomach flu can turn into: "dengue hemorrhagic fever, a rare complication characterized by high fever, damage to lymph and blood vessels, bleeding from the nose and gums, enlargement of the liver, and failure of the circulatory system. The symptoms may progress to massive bleeding, shock, and death. This is called dengue shock syndrome (DSS)."

Which goes in line with your doxy experience. You never saw serious side effects. That does not mean they don't exist. And for both the dengue and the doxy, your 'experimental group' so to speak were I would guess young men in good physical condition? Also not indicative of the population at large.

And I am not trying to convince you of anything: I might be trying to keep you from convincing people that forgetting a little repellent is without risk. That is the bigger picture.

And thank you for your service! (Seriously!)

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2014 at 12:18 PM ----------

+1 for margarita consumption. I'm bad about using DEET. After slathering myself with non-eco sunscreen everyday, it's hard to want to cover up my delicate skin with even more poison. As a result, I've been bitten by plenty of mosquitos in dengue-infested areas like Cozumel.

I would be willing to participate in a double-blind study where half the participants are fed real margaritas and the other half placebo margaritas, then exposed to mosquito bites, but only (a) if the margaritas are free, and (b) I can be assured a spot with the real margarita drinkers. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be double-blind, but this is Mexico so I'll simply bribe the scientist conducting the study.

Well, actually, you are probably much safer from dengue. You tend to stay in the posh, secured and gated resorts far from town. They spray those resorts regularly, so I would say you are being bit by those sparrow sized jungle mossies, which arent a dengue issue.

In town, where the infected people are is where you are most as risk. If your neighbor has dengue and that special AA mosquito visits him then you, you might be in trouble.

Being as it Mexico I will follow you, avoiding paying the real margarita bribe and save my money to bribe him to let me spray a little deet on.

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2014 at 12:20 PM ----------

For Prairie Dog Day, .

Seriously? Phil, dude. Go real or go home.
phil.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom