Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't expecting the ammonia to make it completely fog-proof. I think all mine will fog if I breathe on it when it's unprepped and dry. But, a quick splash of BS and quick rinse seems to leave it fog-proof for, well, the longest I've done so far is 1 hour.
It appears that the ammonia treatment cleans, hydroxylates, and microstructures the glass surface. (references for all these claims are given above in this thread).

It is then up to the user to keep the mask clean and coated with a reasonable defog agent. You pick, I like dishwashers and spit.

So, fresh from the "how to gel ammonia" effort:

Poly(ethylene oxide) [MW 1,000,000]
Note the price.

PEO(Polyethylene Oxide)|Product Lineup|SUMITOMO SEIKA CHEMICALS
Good comparison of viscosities, note carefully the concentration change from 0.5% to 5%

Fun and games:
This also happens to be a self-siphoning polymer:
I found a reasonably-priced source of this polymer powder, ordered it, awaiting delivery:
Poly-Ox: A Self-Siphoning Gel

Description from teachersource:

This amazing polyethylene oxide polymer displays mind-bending, non-Newtonian properties when dissolved with anhydrous alcohol or acetone (not included). Using only a small amount of polymer, you can create a fluid that will climb a rotating rod, or siphon itself into a lower beaker! By adding a fluorescent dye during the dissolving process, these demonstrations can be presented in the dark using an ultraviolet light for illumination - a Super! Wow! Neat!® demonstration. This non-toxic polymer is used for thickening cosmetics. This polyethylene oxide polymer has a molecular weight of 4,000,000 amu. Note: anhydrous alcohol, such as denatured alcohol, available in hardware stores, or acetone is needed for the dissolving process. Each demonstration requires only a small amount of polymer.

Fun and games aside for a moment, this polymer seems to be promising as an inexpensive way to gel ammonium hydroxide. New complication, this polymer needs to be ‘dissolved’ in one of many anhydrous solvents before water (or ammonium hydroxide solution) is added. Now looking for one of those pre-solvents that is ‘mask friendly’…

Apologies if I have missed it earlier in this short thread, but has white vinegar been tested ?

Apologies if I have missed it earlier in this short thread, but has white vinegar been tested ?
Not that I recall

has white vinegar been tested ?
Not by me, good suggestion...

Awaiting the gel polymer, trying to figure out a way to determine if the glass has been micro/nano structured by the ammonia treatment. Maybe something like using a felt cylinder on a Dremel tool with toothpaste in an attempt to remove a circle of the structured glass surface.

Not by me, good suggestion...

Awaiting the gel polymer, trying to figure out a way to determine if the glass has been micro/nano structured by the ammonia treatment. Maybe something like using a felt cylinder on a Dremel tool with toothpaste in an attempt to remove a circle of the structured glass surface.
Break out your electron microscope.

Backup out of the ammonia today, just filled the inside of the lens, buckles seem to be fine.
Primary filled, just the inside, will take it out at the end of the week. I just got it today, ran it in the dishwasher, and filled it with ammonia, will be a good test. The previous one was extremely difficult to get not to fog. Hopefully my drysuit will be back from repairs by then, so I can check our experiment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom