Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Stuart,

Why do you dive that mask rather than one that does not fog and does not leak? On the other end of the spectrum from the mask from hell, is the perfect mask. I have two and always dive one of them. I have a collection of other masks that just sit around, occasionally being loaned out. When someone tells me they love one of my loaners, especially a leaker for me, I give it to them.

Because it leaks the least of any mask I have tried.

I have a lot of masks. Currently, I have at LEAST 11 masks. 3 SeaVision, 2 DGX, 1 Mako, 3 Atomic, 2 Hollis.

A lot of those will give me a leak-free dive every now and then. A few will give me a leak-free dive more often than that. But, none of them seem to give me a leak-free dive more than 50 - 75% of the time. Of them all, the Mako leaks the least. And, now that it is just about as fog-free as the others, it is definitely my "go to".

2 of my Atomics and the 2 Hollis are recent acquisitions for me. I have tried them all, but most only for 1 dive. However, I have used one of the Hollis masks for several dives now and it has been about as good as the Mako for not leaking. I'm still experimenting with it to figure out if there is a certain position of the mask strap or a certain specific position on my face that will get it to be leak-free. It might become my go-to.

Because it leaks the least of any mask I have tried.

I have a lot of masks. Currently, I have at LEAST 11 masks. 3 SeaVision, 2 DGX, 1 Mako, 3 Atomic, 2 Hollis.

A lot of those will give me a leak-free dive every now and then. A few will give me a leak-free dive more often than that. But, none of them seem to give me a leak-free dive more than 50 - 75% of the time. Of them all, the Mako leaks the least. And, now that it is just about as fog-free as the others, it is definitely my "go to".

2 of my Atomics and the 2 Hollis are recent acquisitions for me. I have tried them all, but most only for 1 dive. However, I have used one of the Hollis masks for several dives now and it has been about as good as the Mako for not leaking. I'm still experimenting with it to figure out if there is a certain position of the mask strap or a certain specific position on my face that will get it to be leak-free. It might become my go-to.
Wow, you sure seem to have a problem with leaking masks. I find, to have to frequently clear my mask, a real nuisance, almost as bad as a mask that always fogs:)

Wow, you sure seem to have a problem with leaking masks. I find, to have to frequently clear my mask, a real nuisance, almost as bad as a mask that always fogs:)

It seems to go with my odd-shaped, not-classically-beautiful-yet-still-ruggedly-handsome head. :wink: Probably a result of falling and landing on my head at a young age.

A leaky mask has always been a nuisance but it is much more of an issue for me now since I have started diving a CCR. Thus my recent acquisitions of multiple masks, to try and find something that is reliable for me in not leaking.

Once I found a mask that fitted me and never leaked, I bought 6. I rotate 4 keeping 2 as reserves. Something I don’t have to think about any more.

I would be happy to do the same thing!

I've been lucky that the majority of masks I've gone through don't leak regularly and can be coaxed into a clear view after curing and regular application of diluted baby shampoo. So I can settle on a mask that can give me the best field of view. A mask that leaks or fogs is beyond annoying. I have been diving with an original black Atomic Frameless with a pair of glass gauge readers for over 5 years that has added immeasurably to my diving enjoyment.

@lowviz This may sound backward, but is there a way to create a Mask From Hell? That is to say, apply the contaminants known to be the cause-then find a process that removes the offenders? I would prefer a solution that doesn't burn my skin and clothes. Something readily available in my kitchen or local pharmacy preferred.
Not at all backward.

Fits right into the scientific idea of 'reversal'. I saw a glass treatment (in one of the big Chinese hardware outlets) that claims to repel water and dirt for three years. I would dearly love to get to the point of testing a cleaning process to see if it could keep flipping a MFH between seasoned and FH. That would clearly demonstrate the power of the cleaning method.

And, YES!, I'm looking for something 'off the shelf'. Kind of pointless to find something that has to be done in a laboratory.
LMAO!! One of the donation mask sets I sent to @lowviz I think was $6.99 from the dollar store. It was sent to test the 'low-end' of the sample population.
Plastic lens, it will be tested but adds variables at this point.

Would be fun to destroy the cheapo's rather than a high dollar mask ...//... Test and destroy at your pleasure and looking forward to your results !!
Every great public event always ends with 'Fireworks'.
This is not lost on me. :)

Stay tuned...

Did you buy the mask with the gauge readers or did you have them fitted? Don't mean to sidetrack the conversation but I've got a mask I love and cressi doesn't make them with gauge readers.
I've been lucky that the majority of masks I've gone through don't leak regularly and can be coaxed into a clear view after curing and regular application of diluted baby shampoo. So I can settle on a mask that can give me the best field of view. A mask that leaks or fogs is beyond annoying. I have been diving with an original black Atomic Frameless with a pair of glass gauge readers for over 5 years that has added immeasurably to my diving enjoyment.

Did you buy the mask with the gauge readers or did you have them fitted? Don't mean to sidetrack the conversation but I've got a mask I love and cressi doesn't make them with gauge readers.

You can easily add gauge readers to a Cressi mask. Just get a pair of extra lenses and have the readers installed then you retrofit to your mask. Are you in KZN?

Thanks, I've got a few pairs with gauge readers but haven't been able to find a place to add a set to an existing lens. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Good catch on the KZN thing, but sadly not living in Umhlanga now, moved to Canada 20 years ago but still get back to visit and dive every few years.
You can easily add gauge readers to a Cressi mask. Just get a pair of extra lenses and have the readers installed then you retrofit to your mask. Are you in KZN?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom