Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I've got a few pairs with gauge readers but haven't been able to find a place to add a set to an existing lens. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Good catch on the KZN thing, but sadly not living in Umhlanga now, moved to Canada 20 years ago but still get back to visit and dive every few years.

Http://prescriptiondivemasks.com

Did you buy the mask with the gauge readers or did you have them fitted? Don't mean to sidetrack the conversation but I've got a mask I love and cressi doesn't make them with gauge readers.

This is what I use. These are glass and must be glued to the mask. I do not use the supplied cement, but use UV cure optics cement instead. The lenses will not come loose or be damaged by mask cleaning. They are great for getting a close view of small critters. Make sure your mask plate is large enough to retain a good uncorrected view. The lenses can be removed with a single edge razor blade.

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Optics-...3&sprefix=scuba+gauge+readers,aps,243&sr=8-15

Until last month I thought this thread was a bit of an overkill... 30 pages ? just to clean a mask?

Then I got my oh so pretty orange mask, what a stubborn diva that thing was. I did the toothpaste like I've done forever, then did the comet, bar's keep, sand on the bottom while considering if I need that aggravation, lighter, candle, agrrrrrrrr …. If it wasn't such a pretty mask it would've been in the garbage after 2 dives, it probably cost me a couple of lobster too, to call it a mask from hell would be insulting all the current masks from hell.
Took me 3 full cycles of "comet - toothpaste - flames" until it finally stopped fogging.

Learned my lesson, no more new masks for me, I have enough clean masks to do about ten or fifteen thousand dives more, I refuse to put myself through this BS ever again.

Late to this party, but just heard of a new treatment that someone swears by, I don't recall seeing this one in the thread:

-After an initial toothpaste/flame/etc treatment, lay the mask face down on your kitchen counter and pour a can of coke (was told to use coca cola classic, not diet, zero, etc.) and let it sit in there at least 12 hours. Rinse and it should be good to go. I was told this by someone who swears by it, I have not tried it myself.

Late to this party, but just heard of a new treatment that someone swears by, I don't recall seeing this one in the thread:

-After an initial toothpaste/flame/etc treatment, lay the mask face down on your kitchen counter and pour a can of coke (was told to use coca cola classic, not diet, zero, etc.) and let it sit in there at least 12 hours. Rinse and it should be good to go. I was told this by someone who swears by it, I have not tried it myself.

I’ll have to give this a try. Just got the gf a new mask. Was going to do dish washer run, then paste. I’ll add coke to the mix. Her mask is white and pink so a little hesitant to use the flame near the white silicon

a can of coke (was told to use coca cola classic, not diet, zero, etc.) and let it sit in there at least 12 hours.
Coke has phosphoric acid in it. It could very well condition the dishwasher cleaned glass surface. Acid conditioning is in the literature.

I'm beginning to think that this problem is so complex because there are three unrelated variables, any one of these will cause fogging:

1) Remove manufacturing whatever from lens and skirt.
2) Condition the glass surface to be hydrophilic.
3) Keep the conditioned surface hydrophilic and clean between dives (storage).

Add to all that skin oils and sunscreen...

Has been said many times already, but not using mask boxes often helps with a MFH.
Unless the box is cleaned carefully, it seems that silicone seeps from box surface to mask during storage. Now I keep my (well cleaned) masks in fins when not in use and don't have fog issues.

I keep my masks in the boxes for 27 years and do nt have fog issues.

I have noticed that if divers are "nose breathers" it would fog up their mask no matter how much they scrubbed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom