Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I followed the suggestion within this thread to use Sea Gold. I flame my masks. I had previously used baby shampoo and on long dives with several mask clears it would start to fog in spots. The Sea Gold has been flawless and has even worked when I forgot to retreat between two dives. I now apply it super thin to make rinsing easy. I rub it with my finger until there are no dried globs or wrinkles of it left on the lens and then it rinses easily and works perfectly. I have used it for about 35 hours thus far.

I’ve used a mix of baby shampoo (30%) and water for >1000 dives. Spray it in 5 mins before splashdown. Never a problem. Different strokes for different strokes I suppose.

Different strokes for different strokes I suppose.
I suppose.

I just can't get past the idea that once a mask becomes 'seasoned' it needs nothing more than a bit of spit. I almost got a mask from hell by offering the diver owner a new one of the same make and model. No dice. Said that it finally seasoned and now not about to give it up.

Sea Gold works too, I've used it. But that is just another cover-up. Do you deny that there is such a thing as a 'seasoned' mask? I believe that such a thing exists and would like to know what it takes to get a mask to that state with the least amount of effort.

This is applied research, unfunded. Oh, wait, not so. Others have lent me masks to further this effort. This is funded research...

Drano?

Uh no no no

I'm not going to wear a mask that has been

The Sea Gold has been flawless and has even worked when I forgot to retreat between two dives. I now apply it super thin to make rinsing easy.
After your dives, when you get home, clean your mask and dry it. Put a VERY thin coat of Sea Gold on it and let it dry.

Works very well for me, but not the answer that I'm looking for.

I used toothpaste and now use spit. Next to never have any fogging. It could use a good wash now and then, what, with all the spitting and such, so I figure it couldn't hurt to run it through the dishwasher.

Nevertheless, I shall continue undaunted to treat my masks the same as I ever have and be as happy with their "cure".

Do you deny that there is such a thing as a 'seasoned' mask.

My current mask has over 500 dives. Is that seasoned enough? I don’t know. I still spray baby shampoo mix before each dive. I like the smell. Makes me think of mommy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom