• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by lowviz, Feb 23, 2019.

1. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    OK, then. It's on me. You don't get rights of review. Straight up from my viewpoint.

I'll post a new class report thread when I get it all together in my head. I have it on personal information that not just you but other women feel uncomfortable posting honest trip reports. This is a serious problem with this board.

It was my great pleasure to dive with you. We drove 14 hours (two days each) from opposite directions. Neither of us regrets the time and effort. It is a shame that you feel hesitant to post your personal experience.

Marie13 likes this.
  2. RayfromTX

RayfromTX Student Of Gas Mixology Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I learned recently that there are some problems occurring in Insulated glass units that have silicon spacer bars. The aluminum spacer bars are not as efficient but the silicone spacers create an interaction with the low E coatings. When I told the forensics investigators what I've learned here about silicone and the release agents migrating back onto the glass when stored in a closed environment they got quite excited and will be investigating silicone migration from off gassing now. I will try putting the antifoam on the mask before storing it to see if that keeps the silicone deposition at bay.

It may have nothing to do with release agents and may be the silicone frame doing the deposition.

lowviz and aviator8 like this.
  3. lowviz

Ray,

Interesting, but as I recall from when I was a productive member of society, Antifoam A likes to be in propylene glycol. I seriously considered it as a lens coating but backed off due to its issues.

I'll be annoying Dow chem. tomorrow. Stay tuned...

aviator8 likes this.
  4. lowviz

Back onto the problem.

I can't get past the fact that a 'cleaned' glass surface sheets water immediately after cleaning yet consistently fogs around the edges on use. Something is wrong here...

Where I am now:

Marine growth: https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms1251
    Roughness: https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_can_we_convert_hydrophobic_glass_to_hydrophilic
    HF: Household Products Database - Health and Safety Information on Household Products

Maybe a light HF etch after several dishwasher runs?? I need to reassess the wrap-up to this investigation...

5. Hatul

Hatul Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I like the post quoting the advice from DGX. One I want to add is I avoid using anything that's a suspension (ie. not clear and not a chemical solution) as I found those leave powdery residue around the outside of the lens where it inserts into the silicone. The antifog that works well for me Jaws Spit; you smear is thoroughly over the dry lens with your finger and rinse a few times to get it all off. Sea Gold also works well.