Anti-fog solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All,
Quick question
I use brand spit for my mask but it's pricey and everyone says baby shampoo works just as good, does it really and if so what kind should I get and how much do I use per water??

Thanks,
Marty

I have been using baby shampoo for years and can confirm it does work very well.
There is one tip I picked up a while back and that is to apply it to an absolutely dry mask at full strength (not diluted with water). If the mask has been wet before and you dry it with a towel, if it is not really dry it will not work as effectively.
Usually I smear it on when unpacking my gears at the dock and rinse it when I arrive at the dive site. With this practice it will prevent fogging for me for both dives.
HTH.

Last dive boat I was on in Florida was using diluted baby shampoo. Worked great for me.

Most likely for their own convenience and economy, a dive boat will often provide a spray bottle of diluted baby shampoo rather than the original (undiluted) bottle. It's highly diluted--maybe a few drops of shampoo per quart of water. But there's no reason you can't bring along a tiny travel-sized bottle of baby shampoo, perhaps kept in your mask box. Rub just a drop or two around each lens to form a thin film. When you're ready to dive, swish some water around in the mask until there is foam and rinse that out. Johnson's Baby Shampoo is probably the best known brand. A tiny travel-sized bottle will last many trips.

agree with the spray bottle. if you are going to spit, do everyone a favour and keep your mask out of the rinse bucket, there is enough snot in there anyway :)

What's really bad is when you're on a small boat offshore in the salt and sun so you're mouth gets really dry and you have to get someone else to spit in your mask.

Should of done a poll with this one!!! Baby shampoo for me, or spit. After burning my eyes with gel once I will never use it again

After using everything from saliva to kelp slime to baby shampoo to Sea Drops I also use the product SPIT which is pricey but seems to works best.

I used undiluted Johnson's baby shampoo in a dry mask, for a long time. It was sometimes a bit variable with rinsing (too much / too little would yield less than perfect results)
I also found it was not good when the mask was removed underwater, or for really really long dives.
I have changed to Sea Gold Gel (not drops) and find it more robust Sea Gold Gel Mask Anti-Fogger, {1.25 oz | 35 g}

I use SeaVision and absolutely love it. Keeps a mask clear for multiple dives over multiple days. I did 24 dives on a liveaboard a few weeks ago and put a drop of SeaVision once before the first dive. My mask remained crystal clear the entire week. I usually re-apply every couple of days just in case, but I just didn't bother.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom