Anti-fog solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Bess

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,
Quick question
I use brand spit for my mask but it's pricey and everyone says baby shampoo works just as good, does it really and if so what kind should I get and how much do I use per water??

Thanks,
Marty

i have never had fogging problems when simply spitting in my mask, in fact it works better than baby shampoo for me. the trick is not to breathe out your nose any more than absolutely necessary to equalize mask squeeze.

Just spit inside (the greener the cleaner) and rub it good before you put it on.

Make sure to wet your face to cool it down , it can make the mask fog up if your face is hot and you instantly put it on.

Yes, baby shampoo works. Any brand will do. I have had a tiny bottle of Johnson's baby shampoo that I bought in Thailand in 2014 and keep in my mask box.
You just need a small drop neat on the lens, enough to provide a film over the entire surface. It's worth doing outside too. Just rub it with your finger then wash it off before you don your mask just before descending.
Good ole human spit works too, but I prefer using baby shampoo.

Just to be clear, what you are after is a good long lasting surfactant. Spit is not as effective or as long lasting as soap. Dawn would be great but it would burn your eyes. We use baby shampoo because it is the best of both worlds. You can dilute it but it works well straight or 1 to 1 dilution. I put mine on as soon as I get on the boat very thin. When I'm ready to dive I lightly rinse it. If you rub it with your fingers when rinsing you are removing the layer that you will need later. Each mask clear removes some of the layer and when it is gone fogging will slowly begin to form.

Any baby shampoo. I put a little on each lens (inside of course) and wipe around with TP until "clear". May "streak" a little when you don the mask. I usually put it on several days before the dive so I won't forget. I would imagine you could put it on a lot longer before the dive than that. I don't need to re-apply it for the day's second dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom