anti-fog for mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelSimone:
I just spit into my mask, but don't rinse. I just rub the spit all over the mask so that there are no noticeable bubbles or build-up. Gross... I know, but works quite well IMO. Though, baby shampoo is a good idea, but usually forget to bring some with me.

I kept forgetting my defogger or losing it on the few times I remembered it so I go with spit myself, though I then pour a little bit of water in to rinse (in case I had something narly for breakfast, ya' know..:11:

Wayward Son:
until the day comes when you can't create enough spit to do the job :wink:

This is when I found out the marriage had limits...

husband was unable to spit one day so I happily leaned over while commenting "here ya' go" and he jerked his mask away so fast and hard that he just about threw it overboard. Wish we'd had a short video clip of that cuz it still makes me laugh:rofl3:

Good spitting technique is important. Gotta get enough in there to really do some good, but don't waste it all...
Sometimes I'll spit twice. One right before I throw all my gear on to walk down (mask on back of forehead) and once right as I get in. Rinse it all out and I never have fogging issues.

Takes some practice, though. :wink:

I stay hydrated, but I find I don't have the spit now I did as a kid. I've also found that my spit hasn't been working well as a defogger, compared to baby shampoo.

$1 at walmart bought a big bottle of generic baby shampoo, it should be enough to last several years.

Start with a dry mask. Put a small amount of baby shampoo (any soap will work - dishwashing liquid works best of all, but Johnson's will not burn your eyes and it's almost as good) on the interior of the lens. Rub is all over the lenses. Let it dry on the lens. I like to put mine on the night before. Rinse it lightly just before you get in the water.

Back
Top Bottom