Anti-fog for full face mask in cold water and hard-breathing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

water here now is 46F. I have a water heater and I stay relatively warm underwater. But the weather is turning a little nasty, so I might call it a season. I have to revamp some things in the dredge and I'll study the air supply system more carefully. I have a reserve tank and I found some water there too (after the air filter). I'll also check other mask; when I come out of the water and take the mask off, my vision still is in a fog for another 5 minutes or so ...I don't think I'm doing my eyes too much of a favor ! This mask doesn't come with a mouthpiece. Regulator and mask are one well integrated unit; it don't look to me like swaping regulators would be easy. Keene actually sells another ffm where you can attach your own regulator. You just remove the mouthpiece of the regulator, stick regulator in the mask and tie-wrap it.......it was cheaper.... didn't look too solid to me......

just curious, when they accused you for not diving the mask properly (wrongly, I'm sure!)....you mean water was coming in through the face seal ?

I'm not sure what they think I was doing wrong. The subject was changed. Not that it was that important to me, I dive other full face masks and was diving that one for a specific reason. I don't need to do it again. I wasn't getting water in, the oral nasal doesn't seal sufficiently to direct all the exhaled gas out of the exhaust valve in the chin. Too much was escaping into the visor area of the mask. There were also significant differences in the performance of the mask/reg depending on your attitude in the water.

Where in California are you? Up in the Mother Lode?

Trinity County...God's country as they say, just God doesn't want us to be too rich around here!....we have to work hard for a little bit of gold here and there. I'm a little intrigued by the warning in my manual concerning anti-fog sprays. You guys haven't touched it either. It was the first "solution" that came to my mind. I can understand that plastic isn't as tough as glass. But these anti-fog sprays are being sold and used. When you use it in a regular closed mask, you have this product locked inside your face, in contact with your skin and eyes for 2, 3, or more hours...and that's ok, but DO NOT let it touch any plastics !!

That's odd. I deal with polycarbonate lenses all the time. Not that we need to use an anti-fog for our masks, we're diving scuba only. Still, SeaDrops and the others are pretty benign. Dunno... Might need to get you into another mask.

..I'm glad you mentioned that....I'm starting to see a little light, I think. Actually, this is what the manual says in page 5 : ..." DO NOT apply any type of aerosol spray on the Neptune II Nira. Doing so may cause permanent damage to certain plastic components, including the second stage housing"... I took it that the anti-fog was the problem, but I realize now that it could be some ingredient used in aerosol sprays only. Ocean Reef would not go either way whith anti-fogs when I wrote them, they prefered to stick to the mechanical aspect. And I agree too, the best solution is a nice flow of air moving the moisture out. But now I feel that rubbing (not spraying) some anti-fog could help me....I might try it next season, very cautiously ! Have to go to a Thanksgiving reunion, won't have Internet access for a while. Thanks for the help, really enjoyed the chat....Have a great Thanksgiving !.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom