ANSWERS about rain in the Bay Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
This time of year, that's an often posed question- Here's the story:

SEVEN-YEAR PERIOD
Month.... Average Temp... Average inches of rain... Average rainy days
January......76.9.........................12.18.............................13
February.....78.6..........................3.52...............................8
March.........80.6..........................2.66...............................4
April...........82.0.............................9 .6.............................3
May............83.4..........................2.11..............................4
June...........84.4...........................2.22 .............................5
July............84.4...........................6.35.............................11
August........84.4...........................5.21. ............................11
September...85.0..........................4.99.... ..........................7
October.......82.4...........................14.97 ............................14
November....79.1...........................19.89.. ..........................18
December....78.0............................14.26. ..........................16

Here's how to access a daily weather log and it's long term history: Weather Log, how to use it - CoCo Chat

Thanks Roatanman.

With that info my Sept27-Oct4th could be anywhere from no rain to very rainy :)

Russell

Roatanman, We will be there mid Oct. so it looks like a good chance we see rain for a least a portion of the trip. Does the rain effect the diving at all?

Thanks

Everything weatherwise affects diving.

Heavy ground swells causing turbulence and waves reaching the shallows and shore create siltation & occlusion, runoff of colder sweet water. It can get pretty strange.

Hey- you were wet, anyway. The big thing is to wear a windproof coat during surface intervals. Dry off on the boat, maybe even wear booties, stay in the protected areas of the boat. Body core temp likes a calm warm surface interval, and that is simply not guaranteed.

It's not the ideal time to dive anywhere in the Caribbean, but at least the Bay Islands are South of the regular path of Hurricanes.

Everything weatherwise affects diving.

Heavy ground swells causing turbulence and waves reaching the shallows and shore create siltation & occlusion, runoff of colder sweet water. It can get pretty strange.

Hey- you were wet, anyway. The big thing is to wear a windproof coat during surface intervals. Dry off on the boat, maybe even wear booties, stay in the protected areas of the boat. Body core temp likes a calm warm surface interval, and that is simply not guaranteed.

It's not the ideal time to dive anywhere in the Caribbean, but at least the Bay Islands are South of the regular path of Hurricanes.
Great info, thanks. I wear a full 3mm with hood and booties anyway, bringing a good rain proof cover up looks to be in order. If the airlines where not so stringent on weights I would just bring my dry suit with very light undergarments and not have to worry about it. lol. We have a great group of guys going so we can make it work one way or another. I would imagine heavy run off would about eliminate shore dives then.

Regards

I would imagine heavy run off would about eliminate shore dives then.

You'll be okay in front of CCV, essentially the only shore dive, anyway. Don't overanalyze, just ask the local experts when you arrive.

In the rainy season, a dry suit is found to be a workable solution by a few people, even in these tropical environs. Remember- it's not an issue of water temp- it's just doing a surface interval in cool breezy air on a cloudy day. A simple gore-tex unlined parka and a Jaques Cousteau hat will do for most folks.

There are always good places to dive, just trust the DM's expertise. If you want info on the little critters behaviors under these conditions, check with Doc or Patty at the Dockside Dive Center.

No matter how bad rains might be, the Night Shore Dives are affected in different ways, but always worth doing.

With your luck, it will be bright and sunny with Whale Sharks getting in the way of your Pipefish photos!

I think the chart can be improved with one extra column!

SEVEN-YEAR PERIOD
Month.... Average Temp... Average inches of rain... Average rainy 24hr periods Day or Night Rain
January......76.9.........................12.18... ..........................13...............Both (3-4 day storms)
February.....78.6..........................3.52... ............................8...............Both (1-2 day storms)
March.........80.6..........................2.66.. .............................4.........................Night
April...........82.0.............................9 .6.............................3..........................Night
May............83.4..........................2.11. .............................4..........................Night
June...........84.4...........................2.22 .............................5..........................Night
July............84.4...........................6.3 5.............................11........................Night
August........84.4...........................5.21. ............................11........................Night
September...85.0..........................4.99.... ..........................7..........................Night
October.......82.4...........................14.97 ............................14........................Night
November....79.1...........................19.89.. ..........................18............Both (3-4 day storms)
December....78.0............................14.26. ..........................16............Both (3-4 day storms)

What does "Both (3-4 day storms)" mean? That there are 3-4 squalls per day?

Over a seven year period? :confused: Only rained at night ?

Great Information Roatanman. I will be in Roatan from Oct 10 to 18 and don't mind the rain, however from what you say I will make sure I take my 5mm suit (even though I have been diving in shorts and a rash guard at home - Temp has been 84-85F for weeks now).

I dive evey weekend here in barbados and so Rain or Sun I go out. Only stay on land if the swells don't permit the boat to go out. ANy particular dive sites you would suggest as "Must Dives". Mary's place and Spooky channel look cool, also I will do the Dolphin and Shark dives. Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks

Barbados Bubbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom