ANSWERS about rain in the Bay Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ANy particular dive sites you would suggest as "Must Dives". Mary's place and Spooky channel look cool, also I will do the Dolphin and Shark dives.

Depends upon where you are based out of. The real treasure of Roatan is the variety of Macro critters and the areas of reef known to have the greatest Caribbean variety of soft and hard Corals. None of the dive sites you mention would be known for that. (although they sure are fun, as well.)

Again, it largely depends upon where you stay. It's a far flung and diverse island.

Thanks for this info RoatanMan and Bay Island Diver!

I'm headed to Roatan Nov 15-30 with friends to get PADI Open Water certified at Coconut Tree Divers. Looking at the chart, I'm afraid of the rain... Any suggestions on what else we can do (besides studying) while we're there during an extended rainstorm?

Sorry Roatanman, I thought the posting was more easily understandable than it obviously is.

If you spend extensive periods of time living here and watch the seasons change you will notice that between March and October most of the rain falls at night. Whereas during winter months the rain falls day and night (both) for blocks of 3-4 days as cold fronts pass across. These fronts can be seen on sites such as Intellicast - Atlantic Analysis in United States. You can watch them travel all the way from Texas across the gulf to Roatan. Sometimes a front will break up over the Yucatan peninsula, sometimes it doesn't. There is one in the gulf right now. If this were November December or January we would be watching it closely preparing to move our boats from the North shore to the south. At this time of year it presents no threat however. These fronts brings us the so called 'Northers' with heavy rain as can be seen in the statistics.

Whether the rain falls typically at night or day would certainly make a difference if i was planning a vacation in the sun, hence my attempt to clarify the statistics. Some people may mistakenly thing July and August are bad months to visit due to 11 average rainy DAYS. This is misleading on average we get 11 rainy NIGHTS in those months.

Regards

Will

Sorry Roatanman, I thought the posting was more easily understandable than it obviously is.

Whether the rain falls typically at night or day would certainly make a difference if i was planning a vacation in the sun, hence my attempt to clarify the statistics....due to 11 average rainy DAYS....11 rainy NIGHTS in those months.

Will, I appreciate that, but your modification of a table of statistical data collected over a seven year period- that new column you put in.... it seemed like an addition of pure fact.

I'm still not sure what you're saying- is that addition column that you added in the above post a statistical fact or your explanation of how the facts should be interpreted?

Nothing wrong with either, I'm just trying to see if what you added is raw factual data or expert local interpretation.

What would really be a great service to all would be to add a North side daily weather log, just as is available for the South side at http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog.html (hit see previous weeks for history) and as anecdotal information, a webcam such as http://www.cocoviewresort.com/webcams.html

Here's the forecast, and if what you noted previously in the column about September only having rainy nights- that would be about 50% accurate~ looks like the daytime forecast exceeds the night time prediction.

Wednesday 09/17/08
Thunderstorm. High: 89° F. / 32° C. Wind East 8 mph. / 14 km/h. Chance of precipitation 70%.

Wednesday Night
Thunderstorm. Scattered Clouds. Low: 77° F. / 25° C. Wind ENE 13 mph. / 21 km/h. Chance of precipitation 60%.

Thursday
Chance of a Thunderstorm. Overcast. High: 87° F. / 31° C. Wind East 13 mph. / 21 km/h. Chance of precipitation 50%.

Thursday Night
Thunderstorm. Scattered Clouds. Low: 77° F. / 25° C. Wind ENE 15 mph. / 25 km/h. Chance of precipitation 60%.

Friday
Chance of a Thunderstorm. Partly Cloudy. High: 87° F. / 31° C. Wind East 13 mph. / 21 km/h. Chance of precipitation 50%.

Friday Night
Thunderstorm. Low: 75° F. / 24° C. Wind East 15 mph. / 25 km/h. Chance of precipitation 90%.

Saturday
Chance of a Thunderstorm. Partly Cloudy. High: 87° F. / 31° C. Wind East 13 mph. / 21 km/h. Chance of precipitation 40%.

Saturday Night
Thunderstorm. Scattered Clouds. Low: 77° F. / 25° C. Wind East 15 mph. / 25 km/h. Chance of precipitation 60%.

Sunday
Chance of a Thunderstorm. Scattered Clouds. High: 89° F. / 32° C. Wind ESE 13 mph. / 21 km/h. Chance of precipitation 20%.

Sunday Night
Chance of Rain. Scattered Clouds. Low: 77° F. / 25° C. Wind East 15 mph. / 25 km/h. Chance of precipitation 20%.

Monday
Chance of a Thunderstorm. Partly Cloudy. High: 89° F. / 32° C. Wind ESE 11 mph. / 18 km/h. Chance of precipitation 30%.

Monday Night
Scattered Clouds. Low: 77° F. / 25° C. Wind NE 15 mph. / 25 km/h. (NO RAIN in forecast!)

Tuesday
Chance of a Thunderstorm. Scattered Clouds. High: 91° F. / 33° C. Wind East 8 mph. / 14 km/h. Chance of precipitation 40%.

Tuesday Night
Chance of a Thunderstorm. Scattered Clouds. Low: 75° F. / 24° C. Wind East 8 mph. / 14 km/h. Chance of precipitation 40%.

After this upcoming week plays out, I'll post what really happened. Might be fun to see!

It is fun to watch from the Southside- you can see the Cayos Cochinos distant mountains on mainland Honduras quite easily- and in the early evening hours as the storms start up some 60+ miles South, the mountains are lit up in a spectacular light show. As with most places, at certain times of year, rains come with clockwork predictability due to the heating of moist air as it is pushed over the mainland from the East.

But, as with all things in life- when you "plan" for rain, you'll likely be disappointed.

Last edited:
Keep a log, will'ya? We'll compare it to the "predictions" that I cut and pasted above.

That was the RTB Roatan predictions... such as it is.

As I sit on my nice balcony on Utila its raining hard now.

Sunset, Weds 6pm.

Time to go get a beer guess.....:)

Well I guess I will be wet on land and in the ocean. We are leaving for AKR on October 25th for a week. I always dive w/ a 1/2 mil in the Caribbean. I am from Chicago and the water here IS ccccold even in the summer months, not like Roatan temps. Ayway the rainfall info is great. Thanx, We will take rain gear.

Good Divin'
George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom