Another "which regulator" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edit #2: Scubatoys has a pretty attractive Edge reg package. This may be the answer to all of my issues.

Have you spoken to Jim Lapenta yet ? He seems to be providing an outstanding service to the SB members with Hog/Edge regs. If you have not, it's worth trying.

din is the way forward.
if you lds cant suppy din friendly tanks i would be asking why or going elsewhere.

din is the way forward.
if you lds cant suppy din friendly tanks i would be asking why or going elsewhere.

My LDS isn't the issue, it's the dive shops where I'd travel to. No offense, but I'm not picking a vacation destination based on whether they use DIN or yoke tanks.

My LDS isn't the issue, it's the dive shops where I'd travel to. No offense, but I'm not picking a vacation destination based on whether they use DIN or yoke tanks.

no offense taken,
most places will have modern valves that take both din and yoke.

If you are looking for a traditional recreational setup (hose length) with console style SPG/Depth Gauge then yes, that's a decent package/price. Over at DRIS I spent about the same price (actually less since no sales tax for me in Texas ) but I got the hose configuration and pressure gauage that I was looking for.

If either the Hog or Edge was available in a DIR/Hog style package but with yoke I probably would have bought it. If you decide the Edge package is what you want, I'd give Jim L an email to see if he could beat the Scubatoys package for you.

I know they only come with DIN connections, but most people seemed to be saying that using an adapter isn't a big deal. Guess I'll need to ponder this some more :-/

There are LOTS of excellent regulator choices out there for recreational diving; in fact, basically anything made by a respected manufacturer will work quite well. One of the few things you can really do wrong buying a reg is to deliberately buy one that does not fit the tanks you typically use.

One of the few things you can really do wrong buying a reg is to deliberately buy one that does not fit the tanks you typically use.

Very true. Of course I'm also trying to buy for the long run so I don't have to rebuy down the road. I think my Yoke time is very temporary and that I'll be in DIN very soon. I just need to find the right deal. I know you deal with a lot of tanks in case you happen to come across something for sale.

din is the way forward.

Okay, well, that's a nice fantasy, but in the U.S. and caribbean the vast majority of rental tanks on charters and at resorts are yoke tanks. So you either have a reg that works with those or you try free diving.

I'm not sure what the big fascination with DIN is. It is definitely better for overhead or tight spots as there is a reduced entanglement risk. It is also 'probably' (meaning there's no proof of this, but it makes sense) better for very high pressure applications. But for regular 3000 PSI rental tanks in OW, there is no problem with the yoke connection, and there are thousands of dives every single day to prove that.

One issue that frequently comes up is the reliability of yoke vs DIN. But these comments are invariably based on comparing rental yoke tanks, that get abused and knocked around, to personal DIN tanks. This is not a fair comparison at all. DIN valves would get knocked out-of-round and threads dinged up if they were used in the way that resort yoke tanks are, and I strongly suspect there would be just as many (meaning a few) problems with them as you see with resort yoke tanks.

Very true. Of course I'm also trying to buy for the long run so I don't have to rebuy down the road. I think my Yoke time is very temporary and that I'll be in DIN very soon. I just need to find the right deal. I know you deal with a lot of tanks in case you happen to come across something for sale.

Just change the valves on your present tanks to DIN valves or yoke/DIN convertibles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom