Another "which regulator" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never heard anything bad. The majority opinion out there seems to be that there's really no junk regs out there these days. For the diving you are talking about, just about anything should meet your needs. A quick seach showed 3 dealers in area code 410 as Aeris dealers so you should be able to get it serviced if you don't want to send it off to Texas for service.

Personally I'd want a reg that could handle cold water diving but heh, that's why I ask what *you* want.

Here's another similar package:

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-35/033591-035029-017078-034618-018535/Cressi-Regulator-Package.html

Similar price points can be pieced together on LeisurePro ( Mares 1st/2nd/Oct with Tusa Console is $334 with free shipping )

I would suggest an Edge regulator. It's a good, solid regulator at a good price. Contact Jim Lapenta here on the board. He is an Edage/HOG dealer in Canonsburg, PA.

I'll add to the Hog/Edge recommendation if you're buying new. The price is right and it's great stuff. And you can buy your own parts so you can do your own servicing or buy the parts and have a shop that you trust install them if they are willing. Any good tech should be able to do it.

I have a bunch of various Scubapro regs and a bunch of other stuff, but I wouldn't buy a new Scubapro reg now days, no way, too expensive and no better than anything else.
There's also Oceanic and Sherwood, I don't know anything about them but people that use them seem to like them.
My main reg right now is a Scubapro MK5/109 all metal probably from the early 80's I'm guessing. I got it used in trade and it's an extremely nice reg.
I wouldn't discount getting really good used stuff. There's a lot of really good gear out there for pennies on the dollar that's lonely just and waiting to be used by someone.
If I lost every piece of dive gear I owned right now and had to start over the only thing I would buy new would be a Hog set up, everything else I would buy used.

I wouldn't discount getting really good used stuff. There's a lot of really good gear out there for pennies on the dollar that's lonely just and waiting to be used by someone.
If I lost every piece of dive gear I owned right now and had to start over the only thing I would buy new would be a Hog set up, everything else I would buy used.

In you experience what has been the best place to buy used equipment? Look for a highly rated seller on eBay?

FWIW, I dive Hog also. I would have bought used except 1) many sellers tend to have an overinflated sense of value 2) you have to be really patient waiting for the right deal to come along 3) you have to factor the cost of servicing ( some here do it themselves ) in.

Since your not a local diver, maybe this isn't a problem for you. I wanted to get diving (local) ASAP so I simply went out and bought new.

In you experience what has been the best place to buy used equipment? Look for a highly rated seller on eBay?

Im not ZKY but I would try to answer. The best Is to get it from your LDS old stuff bin if you are lucky. My friend once got an Aqualung Glacia for 100 CAD. The reg was far from being old. He got it inspected dor free as well. Then if you can find a reg locally on local boards and craigslist you can always check it out before you buy. Although I dind that the prices are sometimes overinflated.
I then would watch classified here on SB sometimes you get good deals. Then comes ebay but you have to wait and do sanity checks; sometimes the price for an old can be pushed up to a price of a new:)

http://www.leisurepro.com

Sherwood brute for $190 just add the octo and console you want. The closeouts and such online can make your bucks count, just don't brag to the LDS about it.

Demos and off rental gear at the LDS can be of real value if the shop stands behind them, I picked up my first single hose that way.

Sherwoods are used for rentals because they are relativly cheap and take abuse well. If you take care of them they will give you great service for a long time. My octo is from the early 80's and works as well now as then.
-----------
By the way, the 80's reg it came off of is on my pony, for emergency use.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
For used stuff ebay is hit and miss. I look once in a while just to see what out there and there are too many "pros" now who are trying to make a living off used stuff. The best deals are finding someone like a family who bought a bunch of gear to go on vacation and the stuff got used two times maybe and they are moving on to the next sport of the season.
Sometimes you can find the stuff at garage sales but mostly I'd say craiglist.
Keep an eye on craigslist.
Once you start a quest to find stuff used it seems like the opportunities start to flow because you put it out there and your paying attention. Be patient. If you have to have it now then you will have to buy new.
But like Bob said, if you do go new look at close out deals online. I've seen Oceanic D4's (basic unbalance piston) for as low as $124 at Leisure Pro.
You also need to do some homework on what brand and model is what in regards to if they are pistons or diaphrams, balanced or unbalanced.
Also don't buy stuff way too old with a skinny yolk meant for old LP tanks because you will be limited to the type of tank pressure you'll e able to hook it up to.
Make sure it has a thick yolk for 3442 tanks or a DIN fitting.
And don't buy something like a Beuchat (french) because you'll have a hard time getting parts.
Something like a Scubapro MK2/190 super basic unbalanced piston used would be great if the price was right - under $100
Same with Aqualung conshelf 14 (thick yolk) - bullet proof diaphram used by US navy SEALs.

Once a used reg has been gone through it is as good as a new reg.

One more possibly silly question, but if you buy a regulator and an octo from different companies is it more of a hassle to get them serviced? It just occurred to me that it would be a pain to have to take them to two different shops because the octo manufacturer is different than the primary reg's maker.

Also, I looked into your HOG recommendation and while it definitely seems like a better product I just don't see how I'd benefit from spending the additional money (when I add hoses, a console, yoke adapter, etc the total goes way above $325.) As I mentioned my needs are pretty modest and since the consensus seems to be that any properly maintained modern reg will be extremely reliable I'm reluctant to spend more than necessary.

Once a used reg has been gone through it is as good as a new reg.

ZKY is correct, however be careful to add the cost of service if you go with a used reg. Sometimes on Ebay I see regs go for a price so high that when you add the cost of service you would be better off buying new.

---------- Post Merged at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:38 AM ----------

One more possibly silly question, but if you buy a regulator and an octo from different companies is it more of a hassle to get them serviced? It just occurred to me that it would be a pain to have to take them to two different shops because the octo manufacturer is different than the primary reg's maker.

I would recommend having the first and all second stages from the same manufacturer, the gauges could be from anyone. Some shops will give you a hassle if they don't carry that brand, others will just rebuild it with generic parts.

Also, I looked into your HOG recommendation and while it definitely seems like a better product I just don't see how I'd benefit from spending the additional money (when I add hoses, a console, yoke adapter, etc the total goes way above $325.) As I mentioned my needs are pretty modest and since the consensus seems to be that any properly maintained modern reg will be extremely reliable I'm reluctant to spend more than necessary.

When you purchase a more expensive reg you are not paying for reliability, with the legal environment in the US it would be very stupid for a manufacturer to sell an unreliable regulator. What you are purchasing is ease of breathing especially at depth and low tank pressure. My personal recommendation would be to purchase a regulator with at least a balanced first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom