Another "which regulator" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do buy used you definitely have to do your homework about price of the same model new, and what is and isn't a good deal.
Learning about used stuff and finding parts etc. becomes a hobby in itself. Most of us do it because we like to save money and we also like to work on our own stuff.

So, older Scubapro for instance, I know I can find certain service kits like for a MK2 at North East Scuba Supply. vintagedoublehose.com also has kits for older Scubapro and also older AL conshelfs.
I know there are some generic kits that will work in a number of different brands but I don't know enough to know what they are. I need to do more homework myself and that's part of the learning curve. However, the more I learn about this stuff and demystify it the more I see how LDS's are really taking people for a ride on services, maybe not on labor but certainly on what they charge for kits. I know it's their business and all and they need to make money but I can't afford to have them work on all my stuff. I have a lot of different regs and I use them all.
Not only that but some of my stuff they have told me in the past that it's obsolete and can't be serviced. I looked online and did a little checking with some SB do-it-yourselfers and everything I needed was still available and in fact thriving.
That's typical of the crap you get at an LDS that are stuck in their own little world.

My experience has been that many (but not all) dive shops tend to take advantage of new divers. So you should use Scubaboard to educate yourself before making any purchases. This goes before you buy either new or used. The dive industry markets a lot of useless stuff for divers so do your homework before buying.

If you want to do the DIY route then, Dive Rite, Zeagle, and HOG are your best bets because they sell parts directly to the end user. Second, would be Apeks, Scubapro, Aqualung, and Sherwood as their part kits seem to show up on ebay and SB regularly. Also there are DIY gurus on SB to help you.

After some more pondering and research I've decided to go with a HOG setup. After doing a bit more looking online I was able to find a couple of packages with hoses that weren't that much pricier than the entry-level reg packages that were suggested. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Before you buy look at Subgear. It is Scubapro's new inexpensive line. SUBGEAR

It fits into your price range.

After some more pondering and research I've decided to go with a HOG setup. After doing a bit more looking online I was able to find a couple of packages with hoses that weren't that much pricier than the entry-level reg packages that were suggested. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I would strongly suggest that you do not buy a DIN regulator if you will be primarily diving yoke tanks. Most new recreational divers in the U.S. are primarily using yoke tanks, if that's you, think again about the HOG unless they can provide a native yoke fitting; not a spin-on adapter. The adapter adds an unnecessary failure point and puts the regulator further off the tank valve where it is more likely to hit you in the back of the neck when you look up while diving. HOG does have a sub-line called "Edge" (I don't know much about either to be honest) but Edge regs do come in yoke. Supposedly HOG will be coming out with a yoke option sometime soon. Wait for that unless you usually dive with DIN tanks.

I would strongly suggest that you do not buy a DIN regulator if you will be primarily diving yoke tanks. Most new recreational divers in the U.S. are primarily using yoke tanks, if that's you, think again about the HOG unless they can provide a native yoke fitting; not a spin-on adapter. The adapter adds an unnecessary failure point and puts the regulator further off the tank valve where it is more likely to hit you in the back of the neck when you look up while diving. HOG does have a sub-line called "Edge" (I don't know much about either to be honest) but Edge regs do come in yoke. Supposedly HOG will be coming out with a yoke option sometime soon. Wait for that unless you usually dive with DIN tanks.

I know they only come with DIN connections, but most people seemed to be saying that using an adapter isn't a big deal. Guess I'll need to ponder this some more :-/

I know they only come with DIN connections, but most people seemed to be saying that using an adapter isn't a big deal. Guess I'll need to ponder this some more :-/

Edge regulators have yoke fittings and are otherwise pretty much the same as HOG. Both are marketed by Edge/HOG. I recommend the Edge as an excellent regulator.

I currently own a hog and dive a yoke tank.

The adapter is a second o-ring that can go wrong. It also sticks out another inch so it could bang you in the back of the head depending on how your tank is positioned and diamter of tank. I've dove it about 10 times this way now and it's working but I do find myself wanting to swap out my valve for DIN and that's my next step. But if I'm traveling and I'm on a liveaboard that only has yoke, I'll be ok with the adapter for a week. Just not what I want to do all the time.

Hope that clears it up for you.

The adapter might not be an issue if you dive on a vacation for few days, I find I can tolerate it. But if I was always diving with that reg all the time the DIN adapter would annoy me a lot. Even if you position it to be in the neck area it tends to hit the head, so if you are going to be using the yoke tanks all the time, I would not buy a DIN reg.

Edit #2: Scubatoys has a pretty attractive Edge reg package. This may be the answer to all of my issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom