Another wetsuit recommendation thread.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking for opinions as to what thickness wetsuit everyone thinks I should buy...

I am pretty new to diving and all my diving has been done is springs (72 degree water).
At the moment I am using a 3mm Farmer John suit, but I notice that towards the end of the dive or at depths over 40' and all repetitive dives that day, I freeze....I also use a beenie cap on my head.

I want to get another wetsuit so I do not freeze!!! But I dont know what thickness I should get. I know that I do not want a FJ again and want to go to a 1 piece.

Will a 5mm one piece be enough? Or should I possibly go to a 7mm? I dont want to over-heat or not be able to move in the thick 7mil. But I do get cold down there in the 3mm!!

Any suggestions?

I have the perfect suit for you. Cressi makes a 5mm suit that is flat out awesome! Its the Comfort 5mm suit. When they say it's stretchy.. they mean it. I've used this in water temps in the high 60's and have been comfortable. I'm pretty lean so I get cold easier than most so that's saying something.

I personally own 3 suits. 7mm Akona suit, 5mm Cressi Comfort suit, 4/3mm Ripcurl surfing suit. I think I could almost surf with the 5mm Cressi suit, it's that flexible, warm, etc. For diving in water in the mid 60's to high 70's, the 5mm Cressi suit does it for me. You just cannot go wrong with that one, it's the easiest full suit I've ever put on.

dhampton82:
Will a 5mm one piece be enough? Or should I possibly go to a 7mm? I dont want to over-heat or not be able to move in the thick 7mil. But I do get cold down there in the 3mm!!
Any suggestions?

As a new diver your dives probably are not long or adventuresome so if you are really cold in 3mm I'm thinking 7mm is the way to go. Keep in mind that you are just coming off of the warmest water of the year and it will be getting colder over the nect 4 months or so.

I assume you are wearing dive booties and open heel fins as well.

More information about precisely where you will be diving may prompt more lacal opinions.

Pete

Yes, I am wearing booties and open heel fins. Along with 2 or 3 mm gloves. The gloves do not do much for me, I think I got them just to try to delay the inevitable fact that I need a thicker wetsuit.

All my diving so far has been in Ginny Springs and Blue Grotto (the same area). And I will be moving to that area in a few months, so I only see diving in the springs in my near future. As I do not know any other divers except my girlfriend and I dont think see would do good on a boat dive......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom