Another Surfer killed in Australia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW... do you believe in evolution?

Yes, killing off any species that interfere with our leisure would certainly enhance the human race's long term survival chances.

vladimir:
Yes, killing off any species that interfere with our leisure would certainly enhance the human race's long term survival chances.

Well said.

Scubaroo:
There's also a couple of rumours that people had been chumming from their boats over the past week or two to attact the shark to get photographs of it, as it had been previously spotted, and was known to be in the general area thanks to media coverage. If that was really the case, the shark was being conditioned to associate boats and food. The shark was spotted again either the day of or the day after the attack (I forget which), and it approached a boat with journalists onboard. This shark has a definite attraction to boating activity.

It appears that this shark in particular has been programmed to react if a boat is present, then it will be fed. Unfortunate for the 16 y/o my condolences to his family. I do not believe that it is in the best interest for the state to euthanize the shark but rather tag it and study it's habits. I think the human race has done enough to harm the ocean's ecosystem with the indiscriminate killing of sharks for thier fins, the killing of whales and, raping the ocean for trophies. Coral reef's that have been ruined due to our ignorance and careless abandone. If we just arbitrarily kill anything because it harms us, don't you think that we would be an endangered species by now?

maybe its just me, but I find this odd

(quote from THE AGE article)

"Nick Peterson was killed instantly when he was attacked by the shark"

then a few lines later:

"The friends said Mr Peterson had fought for his life, hitting the shark as it took him away."

"He went down fighting - he didn't give up,'' said Mr Floreani.

cancun mark:
maybe its just me, but I find this odd

(quote from THE AGE article)

"Nick Peterson was killed instantly when he was attacked by the shark"

then a few lines later:

"The friends said Mr Peterson had fought for his life, hitting the shark as it took him away."

"He went down fighting - he didn't give up,'' said Mr Floreani.

Could've appeared that way, don't they shake side to side when they have their prey in their mouths to rip it apart?

Uncle Pug:
I am so glad that T. Rex is extinct.
Actually, I believe that current research shows that T. Rex was in fact just a scavenger that ate whatever leftovers he could find. He is not anatomically set up for chasing, moving quickly, or capturing prey in any form. So.. unless he came across you rotting in a swamp... it is unlikely that you would be in much danger.

My condolences to the family. Despite conflicting media reports concerning the details, we can be reasonably sure somebody was actually killed. They had family and friends who loved them. It's a shame the government choses to hunt these sharks instead of listening to the family's wishes.

Uncle Pug: I have read many of your posts and have a lot of respect for your input. By killing the largest sharks, we would eliminate the sharks that are most capable of sucessfully reproducing. It's the final crushing blow to a species; a species that we are already greatly hindering their chance of survival.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom