Another Surfer killed in Australia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One feeling from those in the know in SA is that the sharks are a little more active right now due to the snapper running. There has been talk that some of the regular divers have been avoiding several dive sites in the area for the past week or so because of this fish activity. Never been there so don't know...this is all second, third and fourth hand...

I haven't found anything on Discovery or national geo...

I guess if you present yourself as food then you become food.....

Here's an update....

It is now thought that a single shark was involved, not two. It is believed that the "second shark" was just the tail of the 5m+ shark. The lad was not being dragged behind the boat on a surfboard when the attack occured - another boy had been, and the boat was stopped, and they were changing places when the attack occured. It is possible however that the prior activity had attracted the shark to the boat.

Some remains have been found - but the media is not reporting a body found.

There's also a couple of rumours that people had been chumming from their boats over the past week or two to attact the shark to get photographs of it, as it had been previously spotted, and was known to be in the general area thanks to media coverage. If that was really the case, the shark was being conditioned to associate boats and food. The shark was spotted again either the day of or the day after the attack (I forget which), and it approached a boat with journalists onboard. This shark has a definite attraction to boating activity.

I still don't support the destruction of this shark. I strongly support it being tagged under the existing CSIRO great white shark tagging project, and it's movements tracked.

The behaviour that this shark exhibits around boats really makes me question the impact that human activities like chumming for cage diving and photos is having on the species' behaviour. It is entirely possible that this was a human-engineered tragedy and that it was just a matter of time before it happened.

If you lodge a protest using the above link, be sure to address your letters as follows:
The Hon. Kevin Foley, MP

Dear Minister, ...
Also, please put your full name, and your location (eg city/state/country), so that it is recognised that there is international attention on the subject. At this point in time it just appears that the authorities want to be seen to have acted on the problem, and protect the tourism industry.

Hunting and killing the sharks only serves the media with short term satisfaction and temporarily calms nerves for those in the local area or those selfishly interested in the culling of these sharks. I feel that most likely they will not find the 'two' sharks and will only be able to determine the 'guilty' by killing them and opening them up...oops we may have got the wrong two, let's go back out and hunt until we find them!.
With all due respect to the families, when you play in the Ocean you must assume personal responsibility for your descision to being there. Killing the shark(s) will not bring back the 16yr old boy. It's not like sharks just suddenly appeared in the Ocean last week - they are known to be dangerous and that's not going to change - we have to be the ones to change in order to accept that. I am not surprised at all that there are shark attacks and unfortunately attachs are likely to continue, we all know how statistically low this may be. Some how all this rubbish of killing the sharks reminds me of the incident at McDonalds....someone dropped 'their' own hot coffee upon themself, got burned and $ued the restaurant for providing exactly what was ordered. If I jump over a fence on a freeway, get hit by a car - should folk take it in to their own hands of hunting down the driver or would it have been my fault?. Don't enter the water, scuba or surf without understanding that there are risks involved.

The father of Nick Peterson has spoken out against killing the sharks, and supports an extended tagging program - it's the state government with the kill agenda.

Uncle Pug:
Personally I'm in favor of them killing sharks... especially of the size and species that kill humans.
Scubaroo:
The father of Nick Peterson has spoken out against killing the sharks, and supports an extended tagging program - it's the state government with the kill agenda.

The state government, and Pug, who sits in his darkened living room watching the last 5 minutes of Jaws on his VCR, over and over, shouting, "Yes!!" each time the shark blows up, rewinding, playing it again and again...

Uncle Pug:
Personally I'm in favor of them killing sharks... especially of the size and species that kill humans.

I have just found and joined this site this morning, I understand everyone has a right to their opinion. But I must say that someone in your position, who has the power to influence, should not encourage the killing or white sharks of any size. They are a endanged species. Mother nature did put them here for a reason. I do not wish to argue with someone such as yourself, your obviously a smart man, and must be doing something right to attain a job such as this. But I would love to chat with you about this and other aspects of spearfishing, I am just getting started and the "old" are always the wise. I apologize if I overstepped my bounds, jason jackson, -aim name- bowingup124, please, if you ever have time, thank you

AmyJ:
Ok... it's late and my brain is half not here.. but I sent it... hope it was not out of line ( or that I had too many mispelled words) :)

Dear Sir;

It has been brought to my attention that you intend to instigate a hunt for the sharks that 'may' be responsible for the recent deaths.

While my heart and prayers go to the families of the victims, I do not believe a shark hunt is in anyone's best interest.

First, the Great Whites are an important part of the ecosystem and there is no way to be sure that the sharks hunted are the specific ones responsible for the attacks. Secondly, if these specific sharks are acting in a way contradicting their natural behavior, would it not be more constructive to study them and attempt to ascertain WHY their behavior has been altered? Unless we try to understand what is happening, we will not be able to act constructively to eliminate future incidents. Thirdly, I believe it is a poor example for the people to see the government react in a violet way. So many people already posses a irrational fear of sharks and other citizens of the oceans that this action on your behalf will only intensify the destructive mentality that exists.

Please reconsider your position and the potential long term effects of such a hunt.

Ms. Amy, I hope you responded to the Governor or whoever the email was directed to, the words you spoke were absolutely beautiful, it could not have been said any clearer or more accurate, again that the amazing, i only hope more people can feel like you and i. litljay@hotmail.com or aim name is bowingup124

freshwaterhunter:
I apologize if I overstepped my bounds, jason jackson
As long as you don't cuss or talk dirty you aren't overstepping your bounds Jason. Please feel free to express you opinions like the rest of us. In spite of my august position as the Voice of Reason I am only slightly less free to express my opinions.

BTW... do you believe in evolution?

The father not wanting the shark killed is noble; after having lost a son, it shows great understanding and more thought than I would have were I in the situation.

But, money talks, and it is the state that will lose gazillions of tourist revenues if this (these) (whatever. something's gotta die) shark(s) aren't hunted down.

Back
Top Bottom