Another Surfer killed in Australia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

molksmith:
The most dangerous creature in the ocean is us!!!

Sure is.

But you will find its a primal human urge to go on a shark hunt after a fatality.
It provides public relief. Either primal or everyone saw JAWS.

I figure its a good idea to look less like a fish in the water.(not entirely sure how) I am suspecting there are some colors or schemes safer than others though. Its not easy to not look like a seal or food as a diver. Shiny stuff isn't good. (I paint the handle of my dive knife) Surfers look a lot like seals or natural food to sharks and many tests have shown this. Black fins hanging over a board that is moving with paddling. (my fins are blue and white). I figure you can take a note from camo science. A wetsuit should really be light gray on top and black on the bottom. This hides you better from above or below. Fish are white, yellow and red.

Seems to me that what looks good to people and found in the industry also looks good to sharks.

On the surface, bring colors my be good for rescue. But then again your mask can make some relfections along with your orange sausage.

With saltwater crocs, if you move you are food.

It's strange to discuss shark attacks because even though they happen and will continue to happen as we encroach more and more on "their" enviroment, if you just put the percentages of sharks against anything it seems so small. I know that doesn't help you if part of your body is in a sharks mouth, I don't know what to do. I certainly don't condone killing them. We are already doing enough of that already, certain estimates put that at 100 Million a year vs the 10 to 15 a year that die from our side. Obviously whenever you enter the ocean there are many things that can do harm to you. Of which you, yourself are on top of that list. I don't know how many are killed a year by Tigers, Dangerous Snakes, or other animals. It is strange that we can't get over it. You just mention the word shark and it just excites people in a way that no other animal does. I feel terrible for anyone that is killed or maimed by any large animal. In some ways it is our search for the perfect virgin spot or the perfect virgin site to swim or dive or surf that raises all of these percentages. If I told you I was mugged in a bad neighborhood would it be my fault or the robbers? If I drove a car after consuming 20 Beers and crashed is it my fault? All of this stuff is horrible and sometimes we just have to face the fact when your number is up, your number is up. You climb high-mountains and sometimes you die, You dive dangerous wrecks and the same can happen. We have to fight this hysteria about sharks. Most of us have had totally harmless encounters with many species. I can't tell you how many people have told me about encounters with Bulls and Tigers where nothing happened. All I know is that there are hundreds of ways that people die before you even get to shark attacks. I had a teacher in High School that died just body-Surfing when a wave caught him and broke his neck. Of the millions of Divers in the world we all know that there is the possibility of death and we take as many precautions as we can. Surfing is an amazing sport and I really admire the people that do it and
do it well but I think all surfers in temperate waters know that this is a possibility in the same way that when we get on a airplane there is always a chance we are not getting off or any other activity which risk is involved. The Absolute worst thing we can do is imbibe the shark with human emotions. Why Sometimes they attack...
WHO KNOWS?
Anyway I don't want to downplay a tragic accident. But that is what it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom