Another Surfer killed in Australia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Personally I'm in favor of them killing sharks... especially of the size and species that kill humans.

I know this is controversial but here's my 3 cents. When I first went to Hawaii in 77, there had been no fatal shark attacks since like 1950 something when a boy named Billy Weaver was killed at the Moku Manus off Lanikai on Oahu. At the time as I remember, fishermen hunted and killed large sharks obviously so Hawaii had a reputation as "safe" for the tourists. Then they stopped hunting them due to environmentalist pressure. By the late 80s shark attacks had increased. I personally know if two people that have had a hand and a foot bitten off. Apparently by killing the large sharks, you end up with a lot of 8 footers since their only predators are very large sharks. They say tigers grow about foot per year. An 8 footer in the late 70s became an 18 footer by the late 80s. I guess the question is, how much do the few extremely large sharks affect the marine environment....for good or bad? Obviously they can make a rapid comeback after heavy fishing pressure.

Chaseh:
If it's the former, wow! Can't believe he's an employee of this board. He has no business here, or more so, no business going in the sea.

I'm sorry but, although I disagree with Uncle Pug's view, he is entitled to his opinion. Just because his view differs from yours, he has no business here?

Our views on things like this differ, of course they do. It's all part of being the tasty shark snack that we call humanity. :wink:

However, if we are going to kill anything that choses to pursue us as food, we should keep it quiet. I don't want cows to get any bad ideas. I think they are already plotting our downfall...

Dive safe!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

[Chaseh Perhaps it was tongue in cheek.]

Maybe ? :wink: Or maybe not. He has his right to feel the way he wants. Its not like he is about to hire a shark hit man crew to de-populate the GW from the ocean.
I am sorry for not being able to take all this serously but what do people not understand ? Is it the fact that sharks eat and if you happen to be in the water you may be eaten. Thats not your fault nor is it the sharks but it could happen just like the bambi walking on the old logging road when she feels the impact of the bullet it could happen and the deer like you likes life just as much. What is the difference ? The deer do not have the internet to chat about those nasty hunters.

With all regards to the families and friends of the surfer that lost his life.

Add me to the list of folks who think hunting down the sharks is a bad idea. I'm not trying to be insesitive here, but being towed by a boat like a piece of tuna bait is a bad idea to start off with.
Everyone who surfs, me included, knows that when we are on top of the water, we're vaunerable. expecially when we are in big shark territory.
Killing the apex preditor in the ocean is a bad idea, for any reason. the food chain is disrupted enough by overfishing and pollution. Plus who's to say your going to get the sharks that did it? what are you going to do keep chatching sharks unitl you find one or two with human remains in them?
I'm a huge fan of these wonderful animals, that's how I got the nickname. I do respect thier power and the fact that they have the capability to do harm.
I not a big tree hugger, but I do love the ocean and as divers and surfers we must protect the enviorment we choose to inhabit. not too many other people are, so we should help to lead the charge in conservationalism.

God bless

Rick Inman:
Obviously UP never saw StarTrek IV.
Are you insinuating a space probe just may come back centuries from know to talk to great white?

Seriously, what is a great whites roll in evolution. I understand some sharks are eaten as with other fish and help control population as does a lion or other predator. What do they do beside swim and eat and make little sharks? I am actually asking a serious question.

oversea:
Are you insinuating a space probe just may come back centuries from KNOW to talk to great white?

Seriously, what is a great whites roll in evolution. I understand some sharks are eaten as with other fish and help control population as does a lion or other predator. What do they do beside swim and eat and make little sharks? I am actually asking a serious question.

Oh, I meant now not know.

How exactly do you know which sharks did this?
Rely on the Criminal Sketch of the witness?
or perhaps peruse mugshots to find the culprit.
Are do you senselessly kill all the white sharks you find. That's a great idea. Maybe you could turn into a reality show.

Everytime you enter the water there is always a danger just like everytime you enter the wild there is also a danger. This is a horrible accident and event and I feel for the loved ones of the surfer involved. But what happens after you kill every white shark? do you move to every other shark? every other venomous creature on land and in water?
Surfers know the danger!!!
That is one the reasons they do it as well....

[molksmith Surfers know the danger!!!
That is one the reasons they do it as well....]
I wonder if you compared climbing deaths to surfer deaths which is higher ? I would bet climbing. The point is the surfers do know the risk it is the risk really I think. Same as the climber both have elements of risk both risk takers know the out come. It is fatal if a mistake either by themselves or by nature happens. Thats what taking risk is all about you have no idea till its done your OK. I would rather have a huge fall on crappy gear then be a dinner for a GW but when it happens I doubt I will get a choice. My family will know that I knew the risk and will not want all rocks crushed nor all the GW killed.

oversea:
Pretty sure that after millions of years of evolution pinniped reproduction rates and great white shark reproduction rates have achieved a balance. Remove the sharks, and you would see a rise in seal populations, which adds pressure to certain fish stocks etc. Usual story with an ecosystem - dick with it and it goes all wobbly.

Scubaroo:
Pretty sure that after millions of years of evolution pinniped reproduction rates and great white shark reproduction rates have achieved a balance. Remove the sharks, and you would see a rise in seal populations, which adds pressure to certain fish stocks etc. Usual story with an ecosystem - dick with it and it goes all wobbly.

Makes sense to me, I do like seals though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom